Is FTTH stifling competition.

OK, so that is why it is saying it isn't a BT number. What exchange are you on? - Openreach appear to be cabling Sheffield (piecemeal) for FTTP, and altnets also have a presence - although in many cases with them, you are stuck to just using them, whereas with OR, you do have more choice.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm now on FTTP and the difference is astounding. 

My TV provider supplies on-demand UHD programming and before, even on the fastest FTTC (50/10 allegedly) package possible I'd have to hit start then pause for about 5 mins for it to download a lead then press play again. 

Now I'm on the top FTTP package they supply (1000/220) & I just hit play. 

Pricing-wise it's about 10er a month more but the fact that now the mrs can sit and stream her shows, in UHD, whilst I game online and no-one suffer the buffer & cause arguments, it's a 10er well spent. 

Agreed, @Resident - although for my rather more modest needs, I went from 40/10 FTTC to 100/20 FTTP for around the same increase in price. For me, it means program/system updates that used to take 20+ minutes to download are done sub-10 minutes, and latency, although not a concern is now down by 50-60% - and I'm future-proofed.

19 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Agreed, @Resident - although for my rather more modest needs, I went from 40/10 FTTC to 100/20 FTTP for around the same increase in price. For me, it means program/system updates that used to take 20+ minutes to download are done sub-10 minutes, and latency, although not a concern is now down by 50-60% - and I'm future-proofed.

SInce I game latency is a big thing although even on FTTC with my provider it was sub 20ms. Lowest I've seen on my FTTP is 9ms

Game updates were also a bit of a pain. 50gb would see me not playing for 3hrs but now, well a 56gb download took just 24mins and the system was only using 350 of the 1000 available. 

I've since found out that the platform's operator limits each download to 350 to avoid slow downs for other users. 

Had I known that I'd have probably save 2 quid a month and gone for the 500Mbps package. 

3 minutes ago, Resident said:

I've since found out that the platform's operator limits each download to 350 to avoid slow downs for other users. 

Had I known that I'd have probably save 2 quid a month and gone for the 500Mbps package. 

Does your ISP allow in-contract regrades? Mine does, although I'm unlikely to take advantage.

Slight correction to my post above: the massive improvement actually only cost me a fiver extra - I forgot I went via retentions and got a fiver off the headline price - fixed for 18 months.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Does your ISP allow in-contract regrades? Mine does, although I'm unlikely to take advantage.

Slight correction to my post above: the massive improvement actually only cost me a fiver extra - I forgot I went via retentions and got a fiver off the headline price - fixed for 18 months.

Only within 30days of start but tbh kids are starting to get into gaming and wanting their own systems so it's probably best to leave as is

• Like 1