Is FTTH stifling competition.

Well in the UK it's Kerb anyway not Curb.

Virgin Media operates a Fibre to the Kerb kind of system though.  They install the cabling in the street, situate a termination box outside each property, usually on the property boundary.  Then the install team run a line from there to inside the house.

• 4 weeks later...

In relation to the topic FTTH will be the only option for those wanting internet use when copper gets switched off at the end of 2025. But that last sentence was a red herring. My router supports USB 4G dongles, and I have purchased a ZTE dongle that came with a SMARTY data sim, but think I should have purchased the one with up to 10 device support! So currently I am with Zen Internet. My package comes to £36.49 currently, includes internet at £29.99 p.m. and £6 for landline phone. If I were to move to the lowest FTTH package it is virtually what I pay for internet and phone, and if I wanted to use Digital Landline, that is a further £7. So swapping to a 4G connection is a no brainer as it works out at half the price. In addition, AFAIK, DECT phones will not work with Fiber, so any oldies reliant on landline will need to purchase a new handset that works with Fibre - which begs the question, will you need to take out an internet plan just to use a digital phone?

On 12/09/2024 at 09:16, swarfendor437 said:

In relation to the topic FTTH will be the only option for those wanting internet use when copper gets switched off at the end of 2025. But that last sentence was a red herring. My router supports USB 4G dongles, and I have purchased a ZTE dongle that came with a SMARTY data sim, but think I should have purchased the one with up to 10 device support! So currently I am with Zen Internet. My package comes to £36.49 currently, includes internet at £29.99 p.m. and £6 for landline phone. If I were to move to the lowest FTTH package it is virtually what I pay for internet and phone, and if I wanted to use Digital Landline, that is a further £7. So swapping to a 4G connection is a no brainer as it works out at half the price. In addition, AFAIK, DECT phones will not work with Fiber, so any oldies reliant on landline will need to purchase a new handset that works with Fibre - which begs the question, will you need to take out an internet plan just to use a digital phone?

Pretty much all the FFTH providers, use VOIP via SIP for the landline, it wasn't an option to NOT get it with mine, as it came as standard, and I believe most of them do it the same way!