What's in your past?

15 hours ago, Padders said:

Very interesting topic...

I've often wondered about the origins of "Padders Bar" I can go back to the 1600's when "Sir Raymondo-De-Padders" was gifted it for services to the realm..

But I've recently discovered more information about my past..

4000 years ago, my ancestor Queen Elastoplastara, Queen of the Pharaoh's vanquished many enemies, saved the Egyptian people from starvation by diverting a tributary of the River Nile.

This is where she got the idea of of creating a watering hole for the Egyptian peasants.

But first she needed to gain knowledge of how to build such a "Temple of Beer"

So she started practicing by building a pyramid, all by herself, transporting several thousand five ton blocks of stone hundreds of miles, then stacking them perfectly with her "One person pyramid machine" a structure that could allow a single person to do miraculous feats of engineering...

This woman was a genius.

She devised pitfalls and traps to kill any intruders and future grave robbers, doors that could not be opened, and even created a curse.

She was not the most poetic person, in spite of her genius, the only spine chilling curse she could think of was "SOD OFF"

She even spent fifteen years carving carving her own hieroglyphs inside the pyramid, extolling her greatness and success at building such a monument.

Once this magnificent work of art was completed, she walked inside to examine her great works, felt a bit of a draught and closed the door..

Remember I mentioned doors that could never be opened, duh. 

She was an engineering genius, but still managed to be thicker than pig-****....

Her plans to build "A temple of Beer" were passed down to her only son "The Emperor Padders"

Who finally managed to construct the now famous "Padders Bar" 

Now in ruins by the side of the Nile, it was discovered by the famous explorer "Sir Thomas Padders"

And rebuilt in the quaint surroundings of Longley...

Ah. That explains the graffiti on the outside wall. I thought you’d been tagged, whereas it’s actually hieroglyphics.

Edited by YorkieontheTyne
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bellatrix said:

I've been looking at the 1861 census.  What do you make of this?:

1861.JPG.bf145e12c29ec7189f0602f88b88b42c.JPG

It's an occupation for a man in his 30s.

Could it be some variation on 'manages own business' ?

Definitely  Manager  Scissor  Business.            Yes, you have to verify everything on the computer,  there are lots of mistakes.   Also people take info from each other's trees & we end up feeding each other  duff information that gets carried on.      It's good fun though.    When you'ved traced a family through the Census from  about 1841 you feel that you know them personally .

I have searched my ancestry and gone back to the 1400's. found royalty, Lords, and  Sirs etc. also found that my Great, Great Grandad, murderd his wife. He was transported to Australia ,on a convict ship, where he served 7 years in prison. 

• Like 1

Wow,  hope he thought it was worth it.          It's funny how we find we're descended from nobility but it's filtered down over the years to herbs like us from Parson Cross.