What's in your past?

10 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

I wrote a beginners guide a few years ago, I've just updated it for a friend, I can post it on here if you're interested.

I'd be interested in that if you'd be happy to share it.

5 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

I wrote a beginners guide a few years ago, I've just updated it for a friend, I can post it on here if you're interested.

Yes please - thank you.

10 hours ago, DUFFEMS said:

Have you looked up and down the page and back and forth of the pages, sometimes the profession is repeated but, more clearly, that's something I used when looking at censuses etc. Presumably you also have this person on other regsitrations other than a Baptism such as 1841 census?

Regards,

Duffems

I have him netted and pinned to the tree :D .

The tip about looking up and down the census record is a good one.  I had two alternatives for the father of a particular person; a situation where the scant facts appeared to fit both in everything but first name.  But another look at the census and there he was, in the same court as his son and family, with other names that slotted into place.  Completely overlooked it at first.

10 hours ago, Mkapaka said:

Is it costly to get this information and what are the best sites to use (in terms of info and value etc).

I’m interested in starting doing this for my family. 

I jumped straight into Ancestry as a bit of an impulse purchase.  £14 per month or £70 for six months, Premium membership.  I'm also on Find My Past, as I got hooked and wanted the 1921 census data: £60 for three months.  There are less and more expensive tiers for both sites.

5 hours ago, lovelace said:

Sorry I'm not keeping up,     I'm in bed  with Covid at the moment.       Think I might die ........

Take care, get lots of rest and banish that rotten virus.  Feel better soon.

26 minutes ago, Bellatrix said:

I jumped straight into Ancestry as a bit of an impulse purchase.  £14 per month or £70 for six months, Premium membership.  I'm also on Find My Past, as I got hooked and wanted the 1921 census data: £60 for three months.  There are less and more expensive tiers for both sites.

Ok thanks for info 👍

40 minutes ago, Bellatrix said:

I have him netted and pinned to the tree :D .

The tip about looking up and down the census record is a good one.  I had two alternatives for the father of a particular person; a situation where the scant facts appeared to fit both in everything but first name.  But another look at the census and there he was, in the same court as his son and family, with other names that slotted into place.  Completely overlooked it at first.

I had a similar situation when trying to determine my 3x great grandfather, two William Aspinall chaps born the same year, one a scissorsmith, the other a shoemaker. As his grandson was a scissorsmith it seemed obvious, wrong, further research revealed that it was the shoemaker. 

Unfortunately, the shoemaker's father was transported to Australia for petty theft to serve 7 years in 1834, obviously he didn't come back. I'm descended from the William Aspinall he left behind who became a shoemaker in Sheffield.

Sometimes occupations are a mystery, a cordwainer is a shoemaker who is serving his apprenticeship, I'd never heard of it. 

Regards 

Duffems