What's in your past?

31 minutes ago, lovelace said:

Convict labour !!  How do you know that ?     Although I can think of worse ways to pass the time in jail.     .

Ancestry admittted it - given the shear number of records to transcribe Ancestry paid peanuts to inmates at various US jails to transcribe the records . Prison labour is big business in the USA 

4 hours ago, lobster said:

Professions is probably the  best way of tracking a family . Once  had a Davies from a small town in Wales would have been a nightmare except they were the town Blacksmiths

Yes, I've got a fair few cutlers in my line.  I've tracked one man through decades of address changes and dodgy transcription because he's always listed as a knife hafter.  Useful when professions are listed on birth, marriage and death certificates, and also for those who witness a marriage.

3 hours ago, cuttsie said:

As said on a early post I have found a brother through the My Heritage DNA  Test kit (£35)    100% match , I have looked into his eyes and seen my self . Loads of cousins . nieces , nephews . Messages arriving from all over the World, I am only 40% English the ancestors came from Iceland, Norway and Sweden , some still in those Country's.

That really is excellent.  Congratulations on finding your brother!  I'm not sure I'd be up for doing that, though; I think I'll stick with rattling around the 18 and 19th centuries for now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bellatrix said:

That really is excellent.  Congratulations on finding your brother!  I'm not sure I'd be up for doing that, though; I think I'll stick with rattling around the 18 and 19th centuries for now.

The woman in London Axle Bruce who  searches for the long lost family's programs on TV also found my sister for me . Again we did not know that each.of us existed .

Edited by cuttsie
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, lovelace said:

I haven't sent for a certificate for years,   how do you get them instantly online  ?       I wouldn't mind doing that.

You can only get the digital versions for certain years: births 1837-1923 and deaths 1837 -1957.  They cost £3 and you pay by credit card.  The image file is available to download straight away.

You can search the records at the General Register Office.  If you can find the volume and page numbers from the GRO indexes on Ancestry or similar you'll be able to track down the information very quickly.

Anyone have any ideas about what this birth location is?  It's the word on the centre line.  I've included the lines above and below so you can see the extent of the pen strokes:

Capture.JPG.054a56f9769455addaed3db2aec07101.JPG

It's almost certainly a location in or near Sheffield, but not necessarily so.  It's from the 1881 census.

16 minutes ago, Bellatrix said:

Anyone have any ideas about what this birth location is?  It's the word on the centre line.  I've included the lines above and below so you can see the extent of the pen strokes:

Capture.JPG.054a56f9769455addaed3db2aec07101.JPG

It's almost certainly a location in or near Sheffield, but not necessarily so.  It's from the 1881 census.

Looks like Brightholmlee,     I've heard of it but don't know where it is.

4 hours ago, lovelace said:

I haven't sent for a certificate for years,   how do you get them instantly online  ?       I wouldn't mind doing that.

Birth and Death certs are available online from the GRO for £3...for that you just get the image to view for a limited period. You can have a PDF for a few quid more but there seems little point. You need to quote the year and quarter the Birth/Death occurred and the Volume and page it was recorded in. I usually get those from FreeBmd. I haven't sent for a marriage cert for years, but I think they usually come by post for £12...cheapest option.

3 hours ago, lovelace said:

Looks like Brightholmlee,     I've heard of it but don't know where it is.

Near Wharncliffe Side . Coming from Sheffield on the road from Middlewood to Stocksbrige, turn left in Wharncliffe Side just before the Blue Ball pub and it's less than a mile up the hill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brightholmlee

My elder brother and a third cousin contacted me about a descendent of my grandmothers aunt. Her substantial will was being 'sold' by a heir hunters despite them knowing that my ancestry research was online and publicly available. As the list of unclaimed estates is publicly available for free, expect several approaches, Heir hunters are motivated to sign you up as quickly as possible. If genuine so there is  no need to rush.  The heir hunters involved had already signed up 20+ despite being told to contact me.  They only  backed  off from their contract when faced with legal action and publicity.

The legal company we employed and insurance against future claim costed around 5% of the estate compared with the 40% the heir hunters wanted.

• Like 1