What's in your past?

Thanks sad brewer, I knew where Walter Wildgoose was killed during WW1 but, I didn't know about his brothers. I also knew about  Walter Wildgoose's son also named Walter dying due to burns. Ethel Wildgoose had 3 other children when Walter died, Lily, Albert (Bert) and Minnie.

It was a very sad time for Ethel, I have a letter Ethel wrote to MOD asking about her husband Walter who she hadn't heard from to be told he was killed in action. 

I only researched the family to prove that my father wasn't Walter Wildgoose's son, he was born 1923.

Regards 

Duffems 

On 19/07/2024 at 10:56, Bellatrix said:

Another one:

Capture2.JPG.c8f6935a1c4e65de7343c3335be6aa6e.JPG

It's a profession.  Something maker?  The context so far is cutlery, though not necessarily so here.  It's from a baptism certificate from 1838.

Could it be stove maker?

36 minutes ago, Uggy said:

Could it be stove maker?

I read the fourth letter as a u or a v initially, but I think Lovelace is right and it's spoon maker.  The family's background is a long line of cutlers - fathers, sons and brothers all in the same trade - and they lived in one of the courts where some of the cutlery factories were.

It's really interesting: one side of that family branch in cutlery, and the other in industrial steel, both living in courts amongst the factories. 

This was the case later on for some of the women too: a great aunt was in the tool industry, something to do with saw making, and as a young woman my nan worked as a buffer.

Just now, Bellatrix said:

I read the fourth letter as a u or a v initially, but I think Lovelace is right and it's spoon maker.  The family's background is a long line of cutlers - fathers, sons and brothers all in the same trade - and they lived in one of the courts where some of the cutlery factories were.

It's really interesting: one side of that family branch in cutlery, and the other in industrial steel, both living in courts amongst the factories. 

This was the case later on for some of the women too: a great aunt was in the tool industry, something to do with saw making, and as a young woman my nan worked as a buffer.

There was the hacksaw factory on Broughton Lane, opposite Tinsley Park road, Eclipse I think.

7 minutes ago, Uggy said:

There was the hacksaw factory on Broughton Lane, opposite Tinsley Park road, Eclipse I think.

I shall have a look at that.  Thank you.

Just had another look and my great aunt worked as a hand saw etcher in 1939.  Her brother was a 'stamp driver - heavy worker'.  Something to do with drop hammers in a steel works. 

1 hour ago, Uggy said:

Could it be stove maker?

Have you looked up and down the page and back and forth of the pages, sometimes the profession is repeated but, more clearly, that's something I used when looking at censuses etc. Presumably you also have this person on other regsitrations other than a Baptism such as 1841 census?

Regards,

Duffems

1 hour ago, Mkapaka said:

Is it costly to get this information and what are the best sites to use (in terms of info and value etc).

I’m interested in starting doing this for my family. 

My Ancestry is what I have used it is spot on . Takes 6 weeks to find info .

3 hours ago, Mkapaka said:

Is it costly to get this information and what are the best sites to use (in terms of info and value etc).

I’m interested in starting doing this for my family. 

I wrote a beginners guide a few years ago, I've just updated it for a friend, I can post it on here if you're interested.

• Like 1