Neighbours When We Were Kids

In the early 1960s I lived on Oaks Fold Road, Shiregreen.  Overall we had lovely neighbours and all the children played well together usually in the street and sometimes in each other's back gardens.  We were always outside, playing on our bikes, roller skates, skipping, ball games, 'tiggy'  hide and seek etc.  yes we had silly squabbles and fell out but soon made up and were best friends once again !  😂 

I remember one 'unfriendly' neighbour who didn't seem to get on with anybody else.  She lived almost opposite our house and the only times we saw her was when she ventured out to the shops.

She was a spinster who lived alone.  Miss Carr was her name and she was always grumpy, never smiled at anyone ( despite people trying )  Looking back now I would guess she was in her 40s but the drab way she always dressed and her hairstyle made her seem much older.   The only other times we saw her was when she came outside to shout at us children playing, she particularly hated me roller skating on the path outside our house  😀      In winter though when it was icy or had snowed, we ( children ) used to try to get our own back by making slides like glass outside her house in the hope she would slip  ( naughty ! )   All in all we had a lovely childhood but thinking back  .........  Miss Carr's life seemed miserable.    Life is what you make it.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, francypants said:

In the early 1960s I lived on Oaks Fold Road, Shiregreen.  Overall we had lovely neighbours and all the children played well together usually in the street and sometimes in each other's back gardens.  We were always outside, playing on our bikes, roller skates, skipping, ball games, 'tiggy'  hide and seek etc.  yes we had silly squabbles and fell out but soon made up and were best friends once again !  😂 

I remember one 'unfriendly' neighbour who didn't seem to get on with anybody else.  She lived almost opposite our house and the only times we saw her was when she ventured out to the shops.

She was a spinster who lived alone.  Miss Carr was her name and she was always grumpy, never smiled at anyone ( despite people trying )  Looking back now I would guess she was in her 40s but the drab way she always dressed and her hairstyle made her seem much older.   The only other times we saw her was when she came outside to shout at us children playing, she particularly hated me roller skating on the path outside our house  😀      In winter though when it was icy or had snowed, we ( children ) used to try to get our own back by making slides like glass outside her house in the hope she would slip  ( naughty ! )   All in all we had a lovely childhood but thinking back  .........  Miss Carr's life seemed miserable.    Life is what you make it.

I used to deliver the morning and evening papers on Oaks Fold Rd, and all the way down Woolley Wood Rd.

You've set me of thinking now.

What was the name of the paper shop on Nethershire shops?

We used to get 10 pence a round, Sunday was double time 1 and eight pence, 

I can't get Ellisdons out of my mind..

18 minutes ago, Padders said:

I used to deliver the morning and evening papers on Oaks Fold Rd, and all the way down Woolley Wood Rd.

You've set me of thinking now.

What was the name of the paper shop on Nethershire shops?

We used to get 10 pence a round, Sunday was double time 1 and eight pence, 

I can't get Ellisdons out of my mind..

Sorry Pads I can't help you there because I rarely went down to Nethershire shops.

Wondering if you knew the Whittaker family who lived for years last house  ( left side ) before park entrance on Concord Road ?

Len and Winnie and their three girls Elaine, Judith and Margaret.  Len and Winnie were regulars in the Penguin.

55 minutes ago, francypants said:

Sorry Pads I can't help you there because I rarely went down to Nethershire shops.

Wondering if you knew the Whittaker family who lived for years last house  ( left side ) before park entrance on Concord Road ?

Len and Winnie and their three girls Elaine, Judith and Margaret.  Len and Winnie were regulars in the Penguin.

Remember a Frank Whittaker, secretary of Bellhouse Rd, WMC. in the 60's. but not the ones you mention.

The last house on your left as you enter the park was home to John and Rachel Penistone.. I know this because I was quite friendly with Rachel. this was back in my Woolley Wood School Days.

As my memory is a bit skew wiff, it could have been 2nd one down.

As I'm about 9 years your senior, Our recollections probably don't tally up..

14 minutes ago, francypants said:

Frank Whittaker  ....  no relation at all.

Len and Winnies house was definitely the last on the left before the park gates ...... No 41 Concord Road.

Got it now.

Your on about Concord Road.

You pass No 41, then cross Sycamore House Road.

I'm on about the house at the top of Sycamore, which is adjacent to the park gates.

So Len and Winnies house wasn't, technically the last house.

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Got it now.

Your on about Concord Road.

You pass No 41, then cross Sycamore House Road.

I'm on about the house at the top of Sycamore, which is adjacent to the park gates.

So Len and Winnies house wasn't, technically the last house.

Pads, I'm on about the very short bit of Concord Road right at the end just before you go into the park . There are two sets of semis on each side on the corners but only two of them are on Concord Road, the other two  ( joined on )are on Sycamore.  Len and Winnie's  No 41 is on the left before you go into the park  ( their back garden backed onto Wooley Woods ) and No 42 is on the right before you go into the park. There isn't another house between theirs and the entrance to the park  ........   Look on Google maps street view and you'll see what I mean.

11 minutes ago, francypants said:

Pads, I'm on about the very short bit of Concord Road right at the end just before you go into the park . There are two sets of semis on each side on the corners but only two of them are on Concord Road, the other two  ( joined on )are on Sycamore.  Len and Winnie's  No 41 is on the left before you go into the park  ( their back garden backed onto Wooley Woods ) and No 42 is on the right before you go into the park. There isn't another house between theirs and the entrance to the park  ........   Look on Google maps street view and you'll see what I mean.

I'll have a drive down there this week to refresh my memory..

Cus I'm lost..

I'll try google in a minute.

10 minutes ago, Padders said:

I'll have a drive down there this week to refresh my memory..

Cus I'm lost..

I'll try google in a minute.

Tried "Google maps street view" and it dunt work?