UK doctors advised to cut down on prescriptions and blood tests to tackle climate change

Doctors should reduce “unnecessary” prescriptions and blood tests in a bid to curb their profession’s contribution to the climate crisis. That’s according to new guidance released by the UK’s Royal College of Physicians (RCP) this week. 

Its ‘Green Physician Toolkit’ suggests a range of actions that doctors can take, including talking to patients about how to protect themselves from the deadly impacts of rising emissions.

“It can of course be challenging to prioritise sustainability at a time when there is very high demand for clinical care, but we have to keep in mind that reducing climate change and its health impacts is part of reduced pressure on the NHS in the long-term,” says Professor Ramesh Arasaradnam, RCP academic vice president.

The National Health Service produces around 40 per cent of the UK’s public sector emissions and four per cent of the country’s total emissions. In 2022, it became the world’s first health system to set a net zero target of 2040

Your thoughts?

https://www.euronews.com/green/2024/07/16/uk-doctors-advised-to-cut-down-on-prescriptions-and-blood-tests-to-tackle-climate-change

Fairly bizarre that they want to reduce blood tests?!

Blood tests aren't associated with particularly high co2, and, they are very useful for identifying upcoming health issues e.g. a1c for type 2 diabetes/pre-diabetes, so that one is looking a bit counter productive.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Fairly bizarre that they want to reduce blood tests?!

Blood tests aren't associated with particularly high co2, and, they are very useful for identifying upcoming health issues e.g. a1c for type 2 diabetes/pre-diabetes, so that one is looking a bit counter productive.

Exactly - and I note the 'title' and position of the author of the quote.

I'd also be interested to know where they get these percentages from?

Edited by RollingJ

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Just to add to the above post. If the claim is correct, it is almost as stupid as me asking my IT guy to re-plumb my house - doctors are not climatologists.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2