Tramlines Festival Announces Community Initiatives Ahead of July Event

1 minute ago, *_ash_* said:

That's what it should be

This might be what people argue with, I know. 

It's a private event, so it shouldn't be anything - would be my argument also.

It probably benefits hotels, the train companies, and the people allowed to be inside selling hot dogs or beer for 10 quid, but not much else. 

I didn't benefit genuine taxi drivers (me at the time), I didn't work those nights as the whole place was gridlocked. Many other drivers felt the same, so it just left the door open for rogue drivers and drivers who rip people off. 

• Like 4

A lot of people are viewing Tramlines like the old ‘free’ festival in the city centre.

It isn’t that festival anymore. It got sold on to a commercial company who run it on that basis.

No commercial festival in their right mind allows re-entry, for two main reasons — crowd management and pure, cynical, revenue (you have to justify to the traders buying pitches for a significant fee that there will be a crowd there all the time to buy from them).

There is still a LOT of free stuff going on throughout the city. The Fringe takes place across most city centre venues and is still thriving. 

Meanwhile the Hillsborough area has floods of footflow through it throughout the whole day — all of the bars are full for most of the day, all of the shops see a marked increase in custom and revenue. That’s even with the no re-entry policy. Transport and private hire make a fortune with the increased traffic, etc. There’s a  boost to the economy worth £millions both in Hillsborough and the wider city. 

Tramlines is a net gain for almost everyone, really — and a superb beacon of Sheffield culture.

5 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

A lot of people are viewing Tramlines like the old ‘free’ festival in the city centre.

It isn’t that festival anymore. It got sold on to a commercial company who run it on that basis.

No commercial festival in their right mind allows re-entry, for two main reasons — crowd management and pure, cynical, revenue (you have to justify to the traders buying pitches for a significant fee that there will be a crowd there all the time to buy from them).

There is still a LOT of free stuff going on throughout the city. The Fringe takes place across most city centre venues and is still thriving. 

Meanwhile the Hillsborough area has floods of footflow through it throughout the whole day — all of the bars are full for most of the day, all of the shops see a marked increase in custom and revenue. That’s even with the no re-entry policy. Transport and private hire make a fortune with the increased traffic, etc. There’s a  boost to the economy worth £millions both in Hillsborough and the wider city. 

Tramlines is a net gain for almost everyone, really — and a superb beacon of Sheffield culture.

The Primavera festival thats held in many parts of the world allows re-entry and is massively successful so that statement isn't actually true.

I'll say again, when the move to Hillsborough was announced it was sold on the basis of being a benefit to local businesses, it also stops people with young children who may want to spend the day with the kids but take them out before it gets to the later acts.

17 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

Absolutely- one of best thing to happen for Sheffield.

17 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

Not true at all about "all of the shops see a marked increase in custom and revenue". A lot of the shops actually take less money because many of the locals (especially the elderly) won't venture into Hillsborough when Tramlines is on. You really think a clothes shop, a fruit and veg shop, a window glazing company, a pottery shop, a travel agent, a jewellers, a bookmakers, a bookshop etc will take more money? What about a Greetings Card shop, a fireplace shop, the many charity shops, the estate agents and so on.

Claiming all of the shops will see an increase in custom and revenue is just rhetoric and plain wrong. 

31 minutes ago, royalowl said:

Not true at all about "all of the shops see a marked increase in custom and revenue". A lot of the shops actually take less money because many of the locals (especially the elderly) won't venture into Hillsborough when Tramlines is on. You really think a clothes shop, a fruit and veg shop, a window glazing company, a pottery shop, a travel agent, a jewellers, a bookmakers, a bookshop etc will take more money? What about a Greetings Card shop, a fireplace shop, the many charity shops, the estate agents and so on.

Claiming all of the shops will see an increase in custom and revenue is just rhetoric and plain wrong. 

I know people who run a fruit and veg shop, a greetings card/gift shop and a bookies manager in Hillsborough and after asking them  just now yes they do see increased trade on Tramlines weekend!

Not sure about the others types of specific shop but I’m sure the increased footfall is a long term benefit either way (brand awareness and that).

Claiming that Hillsborough traders don’t see an increase in custom and revenue is just rhetoric and plain wrong. 😉

8 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

I know people who run a fruit and veg shop, a greetings card/gift shop and a bookies manager in Hillsborough and after asking them  just now yes they do see increased trade on Tramlines weekend!

Not sure about the others types of specific shop but I’m sure the increased footfall is a long term benefit either way (brand awareness and that).

Claiming that Hillsborough traders don’t see an increase in custom and revenue is just rhetoric and plain wrong. 😉

Until recently I owned a shop in Hillsborough for 14 years and know many of their owners - not sure I believe your statement to be honest, bet festival goers are just flooding into the bookies on their way to see the Sophie Ellis-Bextor 🤨....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

And claiming that Hillsborough traders see an increase is just rhetoric and plain wrong also. If you aren't sure about other traders then don't make a sweeping statement, especially if you are willing to dismiss another forum members post as "plain wrong".

I would have thought forum admin would think about that when you are encouraging others to not be rude to other posters.

2 hours ago, sheffbag said:

And claiming that Hillsborough traders see an increase is just rhetoric and plain wrong also. If you aren't sure about other traders then don't make a sweeping statement, especially if you are willing to dismiss another forum members post as "plain wrong".

I would have thought forum admin would think about that when you are encouraging others to not be rude to other posters.

I was repeating the text of the post I quoted. 😉

I wouldn’t say I am using rhetoric or being wrong — indeed, I have asked people I know and obtained information that backs up my points whereas others are generalising or speaking only from

pure opinion.

15 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

I was repeating the text of the post I quoted. 😉

I wouldn’t say I am using rhetoric or being wrong — indeed, I have asked people I know and obtained information that backs up my points whereas others are generalising or speaking only from

pure opinion.

I wasn't generalising or speaking from pure opinion - I think owning a shop in Hillsborough for 14 years and living on Hillsborough corner for the last 20 odd years gives me more local insight than most on the matter.

• Like 1