Sheffield faces bin strikes: Update — more strikes upcoming

52 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

Yet you started a thread about it?

The news reports of a strike suggested there would be disruption; the lack of information on the Veoiia website suggested there might not be. I was hoping members of the forum - for example people who were due to have their bins emptied early in the week - would know one way or another. It was a perfectly reasonable question.  

In fact, there is now a message on the website.

• Like 2

Here's the message:

Delays to waste and recycling collections next week

Planned strike action on Monday 29 July until Friday 2 August will cause delays to waste and recycling collections.

Changes to green bin collections

• There will be no garden waste collections for two weeks, from 29 July to 11 August
  • This is to prioritise the collection of all other waste and recycling bins
  • To compensate, we will add an extra garden waste bin collection at the end of the service in November, ensuring you do not miss out on the scheduled number of collections.

Changes to black, blue and brown bin collections

• Please leave your bins out by 7am on your normal collection day and keep them out until they are emptied.

• Our crews will collect them as soon as possible. They are working hard, including over the weekend to minimise delays.

• Black bin collections are the priority and should encounter minimal delays.

• However, there are likely to be delays in recycling (blue and brown bin) collections.

• Our crews will be working extended hours, including weekends, to catch up as quickly as possible.

If your bin is not collected on the scheduled day, please be patient. Our crews will reach you as soon as they can. There is no need to contact us, as we are aware of the situation.

All Sheffield Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs) are open as normal. Find more information about HWRCs.

• Thanks 1

Fortunately, that won't affect me personally. It is my 'blue bin day', and as it is only about 1/3 full, I wasn't planning on putting it out anyway.

EDITED to add: I am aware that as a single person, my situation is not the same as, say, a family.

Edited by RollingJ

Just now, crookesey said:

Does this include Green Bins, that we for over and above the Community Charge? :huh:

I typed ‘pay for’ but the ‘pay’ appears to have been deleted, try again.

49 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Does this include Green Bins, that we for over and above the Community Charge? :huh:

You'll probably find the answer in the 3 page bin strike thread in Sheffield News section

20 minutes ago, MJ01 said:

You'll probably find the answer in the 3 page bin strike thread in Sheffield News section

Correct. Maybe his device typed this thread by mistake again.