Sheffield faces bin strikes: Update — more strikes upcoming

You can always tell when the Bin people have been  on our street with the litter trail which accumalates because they are too lazy to pick up whats hit the floor whilst loading the bins into the wagon. :roll:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Further industrial action planned for bin collections

From Tuesday 20th August some bin collections in Sheffield will be affected by a Veolia refuse collectors strike.

Veolia and the Council’s waste management team are working together to make sure there is as little disruption as possible.

An end date for the industrial action has not yet been confirmed. An update will be provided as soon as a date is agreed. Regular updates will be provided on the Veolia Service Alerts webpage.

What to do with your waste

• Black, blue and brown bins - Put out before 7am on their scheduled collection day. Black bins will be collected as a priority. Leave the bin out until it has been emptied.
  • Green garden waste bin - All collections have been suspended between 19-25 Augustto prioritise collection of all other waste and recycling bins. Alternative arrangements are being reviewed and residents will be contacted in due course. Garden waste sign-ups are also temporarily suspended.
  • Clinical waste collections - not affected.
  • Bulky waste collections and bin deliveries - Will be delayed until further notice. No new bookings can be made during this time. Where new properties have not yet received bins, sacks will be collected until their bin is delivered.
  • Bring sites - Will be closed during strike action. Waste and recycling should not be left at the sites and excess recycling can be taken to the Household Waste and Recycling Centres across Sheffield as normal. Any waste left at bring sites will be treated as fly-tipping. CCTV is in operation and anyone caught fly-tipping will receive a £400 fine.
  • Household Waste Recycling Centres - All sites across the city will be open as normal and full list of sites is on the Veolia website

Crews are working additional hours, including over the weekend, to empty bins as soon as they can.

For up-to-date information and service alerts about recycling and waste collections, visit the Veolia Service Alerts webpage or follow @Recycle4Shef on X.

• SheffieldForum changed the title to Sheffield faces bin strikes: Update — more strikes upcoming

Well our collection day is Wednesday with the next collection on 28th August. We already have a nearly full green bin ready for a grass cut plus a couple of bags full of hedge trimming. We will just keep on filling our green bin and expect things to even out over the next three months, I don’t see anything to get concerned about.

• Like 1

On 01/08/2024 at 12:27, PRESLEY said:

You can always tell when the Bin people have been  on our street with the litter trail which accumalates because they are too lazy to pick up whats hit the floor whilst loading the bins into the wagon. :roll:

We had that after the last bin strike.

You could see where the lorry had stopped because there was a little pile of broken glass every few houses... right in the road.

Someone must have complained, because later that day a van came out and there were guys sweeping up the glass.

3 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

What is a "bring site"? 

I was baffled by this and had to Google it. Apparently it's the name for the various sites dotted around in different areas where you can drop off your own cardboard, glass, plastic etc for recycling.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bluecanary said:

I was baffled by this and had to Google it. Apparently it's the name for the various sites dotted around in different areas where you can drop off your own cardboard, glass, plastic etc for recycling.

So basically the ones in supermarket car parks? 

Never heard them called that before.  Why and how would they be closed during a strike? 

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

So basically the ones in supermarket car parks? 

Never heard them called that before.  Why and how would they be closed during a strike? 

Presumably closed due to the potential of becoming overflowing

• Like 1

I recall the mess in and around my car when I loaded and unloaded in the days of taking it to the tip. These days I’m spared the journey, the queue and the mess, if the refuse guys spill a bit every now and again so what, I know one end of a brush and shovel from the other. :huh:

• Like 1