Suggestions for flat woodland walks?

3 minutes ago, cressida said:

just my cup of tea -  or Pimms

The number of times I did that walk. And when I fell really in love, even more, every day for ages. My real life cup of tea is Assam, two bags with little milk. Never had a Pimms!

Just now, Draggletail said:

The number of times I did that walk. And when I fell really in love, even more, every day for ages. My real life cup of tea is Assam, two bags with little milk. Never had a Pimms!

I end up giving the fruit to my son though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cressida said:

Why ?

It's on the side of a very steep hill.

However a walk around Treeton dyke is very pleasant, half under trees other side a bit open, look at it on Google Earth, there is a slight hill around the boat club house, and a gentle slope upto Washfield Lane that's the best place to park, then walk down to the Dyke by the side of the railway line

Just now, Uggy said:

It's on the side of a very steep hill.

However a walk around Treeton dyke is very pleasant, half under trees other side a bit open, look at it on Google Earth, there is a slight hill around the boat club house, and a gentle slope upto Washfield Lane that's the best place to park, then walk down to the Dyke by the side of the railway line

Sounds nice,  is it safe?

Just now, cressida said:

Sounds nice,  is it safe?

It is in this weather, but it can be slippy when it's been wet, a weekend is usually best when the water skiers are on the lake.

Although not entirely covered by trees the canal towpath is mostly in the shade and is very much flat from Victoria Quays to Tinsley Top Lock. It's been resurfaced as far as Staniforth Road and the volunteers are currently working on the next stretch as far as Worksop Road aqueduct.

The Five Weirs Walk through Salmon Pastures and also between East Coast Road and Stevenson Road also has a fair amount of tree cover (and is mostly flat too).

• Like 1

Map of the 'Blue Loop' (comprising the canal towpath and Five Weirs Walk).  Please note though that the Five Weirs Walk is STILL closed between Washford Bridge and East Coast Road due to flood damage sustained in 2019).

Blue Loop Map.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cressida said:

I end up giving the fruit to my son though.

I have it as part of my 5 a day

Edited by Guest

Shirtcliffe Woods at Woodhouse is nice. The entrance is on Beaver Hill Road just below the Junction with Badger Road. There's also the Shirebrook Valley, the entrance is a narrow lane off Coisley Hill just past the roundabout and there's a large car park.