Phrases Relatives Said When We Were Kids

7 hours ago, cressida said:

'my, haven't you grown'

When I was about 13 I had a tee shirt which had a cartoon of a rabbit on the front of it. Every time I wore it the bloke next door would say that the rabbit had grown. 

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

I always found that a bit annoying when it was aimed at me. Same as 'Don't you look smart' when my mum had insisted I wear 'best clothes' I still don't 'look smart' - as posted in a previous thread I'm a levis/t-shirt/sweatshirt/reeboks type of person. Smart isn't my thing.

Jeez. Do you remember Whit Sunday? New “best” clothes and the worst of all brand new shoes. Used to have to walk in the parade from church (Brunswick Trinity Highfields) to Meersbrook park for the sing song. My parents never skimped in the shoe department, the best they could afford. I’ve always been the same. Those close fitting shoes in my wide feet. Got home with no skin on my ankles, blood in my socks and nearly crippled.
Happy days?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Jeez. Do you remember Whit Sunday? New “best” clothes and the worst of all brand new shoes. Used to have to walk in the parade from church (Brunswick Trinity Highfields) to Meersbrook park for the sing song. My parents never skimped in the shoe department, the best they could afford. I’ve always been the same. Those close fitting shoes in my wide feet. Got home with no skin on my ankles, blood in my socks and nearly crippled.
Happy days?

Sounds like an ordeal, especially with the overly tight fitting shoes. My parents didn't do the Whit Sunday thing, and as far as I know none of my friends were subject to it either. Thankfully!

2 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

Sounds like an ordeal, especially with the overly tight fitting shoes. My parents didn't do the Whit Sunday thing, and as far as I know none of my friends were subject to it either. Thankfully!

Didn’t mind the event per se. At the time I was an active member of the church and Boys Brigade, Methodists you see. Enjoyed (and still do) singing “Gods Greatest Hits”, still have no problem dressing smart, it’s not a sin as far as I’m concerned, but of course back in the 60’s wide fitting shoes didn’t exist which was a problem then as it still is.

A couple of years back I developed bunions, so now the first thing I look at when I need new footwear is the width. Extra wide is the minimum requirement.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Didn’t mind the event per se. At the time I was an active member of the church and Boys Brigade, Methodists you see. Enjoyed (and still do) singing “Gods Greatest Hits”, still have no problem dressing smart, it’s not a sin as far as I’m concerned, but of course back in the 60’s wide fitting shoes didn’t exist which was a problem then as it still is.

A couple of years back I developed bunions, so now the first thing I look at when I need new footwear is the width. Extra wide is the minimum requirement.

Singing is good for you! I should do it more often (or even actually do it!) I remember years ago when I spontaneously sang out loud to a rock song that was playing, and someone said to me that they didn't know that I could sing, I replied that I couldn't, and got the fast response that "yes, you definitely can" What hidden talents we might be unaware of or don't cultivate..

I sympathise about the lack of width for your shoe fittings over the years. About ten years ago I couldn't understand why my big toes hurt when I was on the pedals driving my work vehicle. Never thought to go to the doctors at the time but it eventually came out that my big toe joints were 'fusing' due to arthritis. VERY lucky that it was only the big toes, no other problems regarding this.

6 hours ago, Slighty batty said:

When I was about 13 I had a tee shirt which had a cartoon of a rabbit on the front of it. Every time I wore it the bloke next door would say that the rabbit had grown. 

I’d be checking  his hard drive 🫤

20 hours ago, cressida said:

Play 'Dress you up'  by Madonna

Talking of Madonna, great use of 'Like A Prayer' in the new Deadpool & Wolverine film. Stunning visuals.

• Thanks 1