Phrases Relatives Said When We Were Kids

12 minutes ago, davyboy said:

These sayings must have been country wide.

My g/gran lived in the east end of London Iassume your Mum was from up north.

She was from an area of Surrey that has since been swallowed up by south London.

My eldest son lives in America and once his younger brother from Sheffield phoned his office up in Washington DC , which is full of American workers, to speak to him, the Americans said that he wasn’t in the office and would his younger brother like to leave a message, which he did. When his elder brother came back into the office, the American who answered the phone said , Your brother from Englands  phoned up to leave a message but we couldn’t understand a word he was saying ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, horribleblob said:

She was from an area of Surrey that has since been swallowed up by south London.

5 hours ago, horribleblob said:

the other gran lived in Camberwell !!!!

In the not so quaint mining village of Rossington, my Uncle Tom who lived over the road from us (early 60's) always used to refer to my younger brother as a "buggerin' nuisance" - not without cause IMHO.

One day as Tom was in the queue for the grocery van that did the rounds, my brother marched up to him and said "my mum  says stop calling me buggerin' nuisance. By all accounts, Tom was more than a little embarassed.

Edited by Longcol
  • Haha 1

How about "la de dah" ?    Don't hear that much these days.

Oiks used to call someone who was eloquent, educated and refined "La-de-dah".

What reminded me was seeing Windsor Davies yesterday calling out Mr 'La-de-dah' Gunner Graham on 'It Ain't 'Arf Hot Mum'.