Six injured in city centre cycle race crashes

Six riders were taken to hospital after crashing during the Sheffield Grand Prix on Wednesday night.

The event took place on a course around the city centre, with thousands of people watching the racing.

Organiser Marc Etches said it was the first time this year there had been serious crashes during the British Cycling National Circuit Race Series.

"We were just unlucky last night. [The athletes] are doing better than expected," he added.

The course, which covers 1.4km (0.87 miles) of the city centre, saw riders tackle cobbles and pass landmarks such as the Crucible Theatre and town hall.

A number of crashes happened on the "widest, straightest parts of the course not on the corners," Mr Etches added.

"

The tolerances are literally millimetres, it's that close. Once one goes down, because they're so close sadly they all go down together," he said.

"Maybe misjudgement by riders or just bad luck."

The women's race was halted for about 20 minutes after one crash while the delays meant the men's race had to be shortened due to the failing light.

I hope everyone makes a full recovery 🙏 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c2x0k8jz44go?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2_DYhO7QYJQTQ-ancu8ArNKIqoneG1noxdf7B7O-qLBt_2AgF5FiESgwA_aem_COOTEwEAc1Xo2HumuDbC1g

• Sad 1

Yes I didn't manage to get down there to watch it but my Brother was a marshal.

They are very close to each other and the difference between pro and amateur is that the pro riders can get away with it due to the length of time spent on the bike.

The amateur riders have something to prove and it can go very wrong.

I was an amateur rider and know Mark well as I rode with him for a few years and to get it right riding so close to the rider in front without your hand constantly on the brake takes skill and a lot of racing time to master. 

• Like 1