Interesting Happenings In Harehills

Just seen a video of a local man confronting the big group of loud shouting Roma telling them to go away. Fair enough, they are making a right racket. Anyway, apparently he was arrested but the good news is the big group of shouty people were left alone to be loud and shouty. 

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

Just seen a video of a local man confronting the big group of loud shouting Roma telling them to go away. Fair enough, they are making a right racket. Anyway, apparently he was arrested but the good news is the big group of shouty people were left alone to be loud and shouty. 

If you look at them setting the bus on fire, one guy was trying to set the engine on fire, then a minute later a guy came along and removed the burning paper from the engine. The bus was set alight via the inside seating.

Just now, El Cid said:

If you look at them setting the bus on fire, one guy was trying to set the engine on fire, then a minute later a guy came along and removed the burning paper from the engine. The bus was set alight via the inside seating.

Yep, saw that. Shameful behaviour and reckless too. 

2 hours ago, Top4719 said:

They seem to be able to turn up mob handed when a crowd of a few thousand football fans are in town, so sorry I'm not buying that excuse, their response was cowardly and pathetic.

Hmmm, I don't follow the sport, but as far as I'm aware, football matches are planned and announced in advance. with appropriate policing also pre-organised.
Unexpected spontaneous riots are, errr unexpected and spontaneous.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, peak4 said:

Hmmm, I don't follow the sport, but as far as I'm aware, football matches are planned and announced in advance. with appropriate policing also pre-organised.

It's obvious you don't go to football matches.

7 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

'Apparently'

9 hours ago, peak4 said:

I don't think sudden outbreaks of violence between rival supporters that can happen at the ground or anywhere else are that well planned, always seem to be cops on hand though, not really sure why your defending their pitiful response to this.

5 hours ago, despritdan said:

Absolutely useless.

5 hours ago, despritdan said:

It's good to see the Leeds police have now come out of hiding and normal service has been resumed.

A pre-planned event, like a march or football match, will have a pre-organised police plan in place, which seems fair.
How should one plan for an unexpected spontaneous event such as this disturbance?

Yes there are pre-planned strategies in place for unexpected events, but they can't  sensibly include the police going in mob handed when there aren't the officers available.
Part of that plan will include retreating to a safe distance to contain the disturbance to as small an area as possible, and observe via helicopter( & now drones), CCTV etc.
Arrests can be made later when individuals have been identified.

No consolation when you live in the area(s) affected of course, which is one reason why the locals complained about a perceived lack of police response, and as Chris Hobbs pointed out, police communications to the public were poor.

Officers were brought in from adjacent forces, but that takes time and leaves those areas short staffed.
I can remember the riots in the '80's and later in 2001 (subsequently 200 jail sentences for the latter)
Fortunately the disturbance in Harehills didn't spread to other areas.
Surely the important thing now is to find the perpetrators, and prosecute if needed, as well as analysing what happened and why.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1