Interesting Happenings In Harehills

52 minutes ago, Baz1 said:

I don't think it is racism.

You live here don't you, as I do, a UK tax paying citizen. 

No matter who the rioters are, even if trying to 'react' to something or make a point. No one wants to see the country stoop to this level. 

I agree it's not automatically racist to be concerned about what happened last night - let's remember that the police and social care were there to safeguard children. Where the racism generally manifests is the selective attention that is given to incidents involving 'foreigners' compared to similar incidents involving 'natives' like in Dublin on Monday.

12 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

And you’ve got nothing to say about what’s happened :rolleyes:

Obviously what happened in Harehills was horrible. 

But that's an obvious thing to say.

Beyond that I've commented that I used to live there 20 years ago and I found my neighbours to be decent people.

5 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Where the racism generally manifests is the selective attention that is given to incidents involving 'foreigners' compared to similar incidents involving 'natives' like in Dublin on Monday.

Foreigners generally have an ethic of family and sticking together with their group.

Our lot 'the poor' have lost that family connection because they rely on the state and not their family.

3 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Foreigners generally have an ethic of family and sticking together with their group.

Our lot 'the poor' have lost that family connection because they rely on the state and not their family.

I think there's some truth in that. Certainly a lot of Roma people have a real distrust of authority, learned from their experiences in places like Slovakia, where they experience a form of apartheid.

8 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Hard to disagree with that.

3 minutes ago, Delbow said:

I think there's some truth in that. Certainly a lot of Roma people have a real distrust of authority, learned from their experiences in places like Slovakia, where they experience a form of apartheid.

The UK is not Slovakia, though - and I think it was you who said 'humans can adapt' - or something to that effect.

• Like 1

Just now, RollingJ said:

The UK is not Slovakia, though - and I think it was you who said 'humans can adapt' - or something to that effect.

Correct on both accounts. But adaptation isn't instant. In the case of immigration, one generation usually gets people there. That's not an excuse for the rioting by the way, before Al Bundy has an aneurysm. 

5 minutes ago, Delbow said:

This being the case, regarding the Slovakians, you would then think with that being the case and having being welcomed into a new country...the UK...they would then not create a ghetto full of garbage, mattresses, cars on bricks, prostitutes and unruly behaviour in their adopted neighborhood. 

Bizarre.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

Really brought the racists out hasn't it?

Even Nigel Farage, nominal MP for Clacton on Sea, but over in America sliming up to Trump, has seen fit to stick his nose in:

Nigel Farage blasted by 'inflaming' Leeds riots 'with misinformation' (msn.com)

He should concentrate on his own constituents

54 minutes ago, prince al said:

God! What’s Farage got to do with the Leeds riots? Stretching it a bit.

47 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

This Leeds incident will be the main topic of conversation in the UK this morning, most work places will be talking about it and in every work place there will be a frothing leftie in the corner with his Guardian muttering RACISTS and blaming Farage whilst the rest just laugh at them.

I've not seen anyone on here blaming Farage for the riots themselves, though he played straight into the hard/far right agenda with this post on Twitter.
Bear in mind that there were lots of well known genuinely far right accounts falsely accusing a local Muslim councillor of being seen rioting, when in reality he was trying to prevent the rioters from adding literal fuel to the bonfire(s).

Another female Muslim councillor was also being defamed on line, although she was working directly with the police to try and calm things down.
Farage then comes out with this;

• Like 2

Sorry, broken link in previous post; I'll report it and get admin to delete

I've no idea as to the authenticity of this clip I saw yesterday before I went to bed, but it's worth viewing