Planes grounded.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

To get this back on topic: One has to ask how a critical element (so it is claimed) of cybersecurity had an update rolled out to it without, apparently, it being fully tested.

That's the official story. If true it shows a monumental level of incompetence 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_DADDY said:

That's the official story. If true it shows a monumental level of incompetence 

I agree it is monumentally incompetent, if true. I can't actually fully believe it - even back in the days when I was working and our IT department made even small changes to our internal network, these changes were subject to, from memory, an eight-stage pre-release test sequence, and had an immediate roll-back option if they trashed the live system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

To get this back on topic: One has to ask how a critical element (so it is claimed) of cybersecurity had an update rolled out to it without, apparently, it being fully tested.

Easily explained by the anonymous bureaucrats, whether the topic is either JFK, MLK, Marilyn, Foster, Rich, Russian Collusion, or Epstein, "mistakes were made, and it's time to move on", or "s**t happens"!

The latter seems to be the most effective with great unwashed, these days! 😀

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Easily explained by the anonymous bureaucrats, whether the topic is either JFK, MLK, Marilyn, Foster, Rich, Russian Collusion, or Epstein, "mistakes were made, and it's time to move on", or "s**t happens"!

The latter seems to be the most effective with great unwashed, these days! 😀

Thanks for a totally irrelevant response.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Thanks for a totally irrelevant response.

Those are not my quotes!😀

Who are we to question such divine wisdom, from on high?

5 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Those are not my quotes!😀

Who are we to question such divine wisdom, from on high?

You got back on your usual (boring) hobby horse and added zero value to the subject. My post asked: Why was a buggy 'update' to critical security software not fully tested before release?

Edited by RollingJ

13 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

You got back on your usual (boring) hobby horse and added zero value to the subject. My post asked: Why was a buggy 'update' to critical security software not fully tested before release?

I don't have the benefit of a year long Commission junket to some foreign clime, to find out!

But I gave you my answer already above, mistakes (incompetence) or a conflating of unfortunate co-incidences.

The only other answer would be intentional, but that sounds a little, shall we say, conspiratorial?😀

They don't need 'a year long Commission junket to some foreign clime', just a sensible and truthful internal investigation.

As I also said above, critical security software updates, especially ones as critical as this, need to be tested to destruction - almost - before release.