250km “South Yorkshire By Bike” route to be unveiled

IMG_4555.jpeg

South Yorkshire’s Mayor, Oliver Coppard, is to unveil an ambitious new 250km bike route named "South Yorkshire by Bike," aimed at promoting cycling across the region. This initiative is part of the broader "Summer of Cycling" campaign, which seeks to highlight the area’s heritage and cultural sites while encouraging community engagement and healthy, active lifestyles.

A New Cycling Adventure

The new route, designed by cyclist and campaigner Emily Chappell, will traverse every corner of South Yorkshire and include manageable sections for families and casual cyclists. Triple Olympic champion Ed Clancy and Chappell will ride the route over three days this weekend, with details to be published following their journey.

E-Bikes and Infrastructure Boost

Ed Clancy will use one of South Yorkshire’s 130 new e-bikes, funded by Active Travel England. This expansion extends the free e-bike loan scheme across the county, making cycling more accessible. Half a million pounds has been allocated to help South Yorkshire become a national leader in its e-bike offerings, growing the fleet to over 200.

Oliver Coppard’s Vision

South Yorkshire Mayor Oliver Coppard expressed his enthusiasm: “This is a cycling summer in South Yorkshire. We have elite cyclists and enthusiastic amateurs taking part in the Sheffield Grand Prix and Rock Up and Ride, and the Tour of Britain is arriving in September. We’re extending our e-bike loan scheme to every local authority and we’re building more and better infrastructure to make cycling easier and safer.”

Enhancing Community Engagement

Ed Clancy, South Yorkshire’s Active Travel Commissioner, emphasized the project’s importance: “A big part of my mission to help people to walk, wheel or cycle more is providing the skills, confidence and the right environment to give it a go. That includes more e-bike loans, bike training, and building new cycle lanes.”

He added, “On my South Yorkshire by Bike ride, I’ll be visiting some of the best places for short, easy bike rides, taking in industrial heritage, cultural attractions, and green spaces. I’ll also be meeting the brilliant people and volunteers, who work tirelessly helping people get walking, wheeling, and cycling more in our communities.”

Upcoming Events

The "Summer of Cycling" has featured the Sheffield Grand Prix and will culminate with the Tour of Britain in September, where Stage 3 will stretch across South Yorkshire from Sheffield to Barnsley.

For more information on the South Yorkshire by Bike route, visit South Yorkshire by Bike.

• Like 2

Well that will come in handy for the 1.7% of all journeys and the 2% of the population that cycles

2 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

IMG_4555.jpeg

South Yorkshire’s Mayor, Oliver Coppard, is to unveil an ambitious new 250km bike route named "South Yorkshire by Bike," aimed at promoting cycling across the region. This initiative is part of the broader "Summer of Cycling" campaign, which seeks to highlight the area’s heritage and cultural sites while encouraging community engagement and healthy, active lifestyles.

A New Cycling Adventure

The new route, designed by cyclist and campaigner Emily Chappell, will traverse every corner of South Yorkshire and include manageable sections for families and casual cyclists. Triple Olympic champion Ed Clancy and Chappell will ride the route over three days this weekend, with details to be published following their journey.

E-Bikes and Infrastructure Boost

Ed Clancy will use one of South Yorkshire’s 130 new e-bikes, funded by Active Travel England. This expansion extends the free e-bike loan scheme across the county, making cycling more accessible. Half a million pounds has been allocated to help South Yorkshire become a national leader in its e-bike offerings, growing the fleet to over 200.

Oliver Coppard’s Vision

South Yorkshire Mayor Oliver Coppard expressed his enthusiasm: “This is a cycling summer in South Yorkshire. We have elite cyclists and enthusiastic amateurs taking part in the Sheffield Grand Prix and Rock Up and Ride, and the Tour of Britain is arriving in September. We’re extending our e-bike loan scheme to every local authority and we’re building more and better infrastructure to make cycling easier and safer.”

Enhancing Community Engagement

Ed Clancy, South Yorkshire’s Active Travel Commissioner, emphasized the project’s importance: “A big part of my mission to help people to walk, wheel or cycle more is providing the skills, confidence and the right environment to give it a go. That includes more e-bike loans, bike training, and building new cycle lanes.”

He added, “On my South Yorkshire by Bike ride, I’ll be visiting some of the best places for short, easy bike rides, taking in industrial heritage, cultural attractions, and green spaces. I’ll also be meeting the brilliant people and volunteers, who work tirelessly helping people get walking, wheeling, and cycling more in our communities.”

Upcoming Events

The "Summer of Cycling" has featured the Sheffield Grand Prix and will culminate with the Tour of Britain in September, where Stage 3 will stretch across South Yorkshire from Sheffield to Barnsley.

For more information on the South Yorkshire by Bike route, visit South Yorkshire by Bike.

How much ? 

1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

Cor, just a thought, mate, maybe, just thinking about it, you know, maybe it's currently only 1.7% of all journeys and 2% of the population because, jeez, I don't know, just going out on a limb here, hard to tell, but maybe, just maybe, thinking about it, it's because there's hardly any cycle lanes, all the existing cycle lanes are crap, and cars dominate the road so much that no one feels safe trying to cycling on the existing carriageways, maybe? hmm? Just impossible to tell, isn't Uggy?

Yep absolutely sometimes the infrastructure has to be put in before the expected changes come about, I used cycle regularly to work, but age and increase in traffic after bus privatization meant I went out and bought a car, maybe just maybe you might be right. Bawtry road was initially intended to be a dual carriage way with adjacent cycle lanes all the way to the coast, I'm told, but the only stretch completed as far as I'm aware was from whiston to Worrygoose roundabout, and I can tell you from bitter experience that you take your life in your hands cycling on there due to dog walkers and pram pushers.