I want a boy scout.

Yer know, one of them Bob-A-Jobbers from years ago.

The sun has travelled 93 million miles to shine on my back garden, and I felt obliged to lay in it's rays to top up my red tan..

While I was laid there, it got me thinking.

I've got loads of mundane tasks that need doing, cleaning the windows, weeding, mowing the lawn, washing the car ETC, ETC.

But I chose to lie in the sun ☀️.

In the olden days scouting was very obviously a harmless pursuit, You'd see them in the woods from time to time tying knots, and rubbing sticks together, and then once a year they'd emerge from the tree line and offer to rub grit into your car in exchange for a shilling.

Now though, we never see them at all, however, like the Covid virus, they're still out there in their millions, and I haven't a scant idea of what they're up to....

Their leader in Britain is a man called Bear Grylls, a survival expert who stays in hotels and likes to be attacked at night by friends and colleagues in wildlife costumes.

Mr. Grylls toughens these young lads up, and makes them realize they can't go through life being a hopeless, quivery-bottom-lipped, unfunny individual.

In the early days this is what scouting was all about, it prepared boys for life as an adult, it made them strong and practical, they knew what to do if they were attacked by a fox.

They also knew how to keep Scout masters out of the tent at night, so when they left the scouting movement they became men.

Thirty odd years ago the scouts Bob-A-Job week was abandoned, mainly I believe, due to health and safety legislation, or getting sued by a little old lady whose cat got hose piped to death.

We need them back planting wild flowers, and retrieving shopping trolleys from canals.

We need them knocking on our doors offering to clean our shoes and sweep the chimney, we need to encounter scouts in our daily lives, helping old ladies cross the road and petting guide dogs..

Please, please, bring back Bob-A-Job week.

Come round this evening and clean and polish my shoes, NOT the Jehovah Witnesses though, I've had enough of you lot already, you can stay at home..............

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Padders said:

The sun has travelled 93 million miles to shine on my back garden, and I felt obliged to lay in it's rays to top up my red tan..

I've got loads of mundane tasks that need doing, cleaning the windows, weeding, mowing the lawn, washing the car ETC, ETC.

In the olden days scouting was very obviously a harmless pursuit, You'd see them in the woods from time to time tying knots, and rubbing sticks together, and then once a year they'd emerge from the tree line and offer to rub grit into your car in exchange for a shilling.

Now though, we never see them at all, however, like the Covid virus, they're still out there in their millions, and I haven't a scant idea of what they're up to....

Their leader in Britain is a man called Bear Grylls, a survival expert who stays in hotels and likes to be attacked at night by friends and colleagues in wildlife costumes.

Mr. Grylls toughens these young lads up, and makes them realize they can't go through life being a hopeless, quivery-bottom-lipped, unfunny individual.

In the early days this is what scouting was all about, it prepared boys for life as an adult, it made them strong and practical, they knew what to do if they were attacked by a fox.

They also knew how to keep Scout masters out of the tent at night, so when they left the scouting movement they became men.

Thirty odd years ago the scouts Bob-A-Job week was abandoned, mainly I believe, due to health and safety legislation, or getting sued by a little old lady whose cat got hose piped to death.

We need them back planting wild flowers, and retrieving shopping trolleys from canals.

We need them knocking on our doors offering to clean our shoes and sweep the chimney, we need to encounter scouts in our daily lives, helping old ladies cross the road and petting guide dogs..

Come round this evening and clean and polish my shoes, NOT the Jehovah Witnesses though, I've had enough of you lot already, you can stay at home..............

No chance.

You would have human rights lawyers knocking on your door within 24hrs.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Padders said:

Great idea Padders. We could call it community service.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Padders said:

Bring it up to date Padders.

A ton a job week!😄

echo.

41 minutes ago, echo beach said:

Bring it up to date Padders.

A ton a job week!😄

echo.

I appreciate that inflation has taken it's toll.

But I'd gladly give em half of that Echo..

50p for one job,

Or a special offer 100p for Three jobs.

• Like 1

Padders , I know what you can do . You can get a bucket , put some water in ,with some cleaning fluid in , swill it around , then get one of those telescopic window cleaning things . And clean your windows . Then get the hoe out & dry your bucket , then put the weeds you get out in there . Then , you can get a lawn mower , plug it in , don't forget the basket , & mow your lawn , you could put the grass cuttings in the bucket & empty it into your bin . Then , rinse bucket out , & fill it with water & car cleaner & get a sponge & wash your car . Amazing what a good old bucket can do 🤣. Or if all else fails , just keep laying in the sun 😉

2 minutes ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

Padders , I know what you can do . You can get a bucket , put some water in ,with some cleaning fluid in , swill it around , then get one of those telescopic window cleaning things . And clean your windows . Then get the hoe out & dry your bucket , then put the weeds you get out in there . Then , you can get a lawn mower , plug it in , don't forget the basket , & mow your lawn , you could put the grass cuttings in the bucket & empty it into your bin . Then , rinse bucket out , & fill it with water & car cleaner & get a sponge & wash your car . Amazing what a good old bucket can do 🤣. Or if all else fails , just keep laying in the sun 😉

And it's called Multi tasking & that's what Scouts used to do 😁

5 minutes ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

I'm worn out just reading that post Lavvy.

I'm of for my afternoon nap..

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Padders said:

Padders  ....  that made me laugh.    😂

• Thanks 1