Asbestosis , Silicosis.

My dad died when I was 12 years old, he had Silicosis and suffered for many years with really bad health. He was in Lodge Moor hospital for a long time as they were not sure what he had and thought it may be contagious, such as TB. This was in the years before they really knew about Silicosis. His job when he was younger was a grinder, cleaning up cast iron fire grates and Yorkshire ranges and the like. He always had to use a sand stone grinding wheel, hence the Silicosis. 

• Sad 1

My Grandfather was a coal miner who died of Silicosis.

My friend was a steel erector who died of asbestosis.

When I was younger I worked as a boiler rat on the power stations vacuuming all the dust out and all we had was paper masks.

I have recently been diagnosed with incurable lung disease.

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

When I was younger I worked as a boiler rat on the power stations vacuuming all the dust out and all we had was paper masks.

Sorry to hear about that mate . Done the same work on Power stations myself .

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

Sorry to hear about that mate . Done the same work on Power stations myself .

Thanks Pal, I've just got to get on with it.

Keep smiling and enjoying life.

No use dwelling on it.

Went to York last week with the lads for the match and it nearly wiped me out but I enjoyed it.

A few large whiskies helps.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

Thanks Pal, I've just got to get on with it.

Keep smiling and enjoying life.

No use dwelling on it.

Went to York last week with the lads for the match and it nearly wiped me out but I enjoyed it.

A few large whiskies helps.

:thumbsup:

17 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

There's hope, if you keep your positive outlook on life and determination to just "get on with it".

It's amazing what the human body can do if you treat it well! Proper diet, regular (however little you can manage) exercise and most important of all, socializing. 

16 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

Really sorry to hear about that mate, hope you can keep active and enjoying life as much as you can.  I started work in the building industry, then got a job as a trainee alarm installer. Spent a lot of time crawling about in roof spaces and under floors. Definitely exposed to asbestos on more than a few occasions. I was one of the lucky ones, went into sales, then management and apart from a year or so when I first started my own business put down the tools.

I had a triple by pass when I was 60 and they put you through a rigorous check up before the op. Part of it was a computerised lung check which went on for quite some time. At the end you get a print out showing your ' lung age '. Mine was 27 years old not bad for 60.

Never smoked so that helped, but my oldest mate never smoked either but worked as a joiner all his working life and he's been diagnosed with a lung problem, brought on by exposure to asbestos. Back in the day Health and Safety wasn't really a thing was it?