Anyone Remember Burdalls Buildings

There were lots of small firms within the complex, which was a real rabbit warren. My father worked in there.

Mr Burdall married my father's cousin, she was much younger than him at the time, this would be around the early 70s. She came from a court (back-to-back) house on Freedom St, S6 (demolished around 1970).

Father and I were invited to the reception which was held at the Maynard Arms, Grindleford, as he lived (if I remember rightly) somewhere down the Grindleford road below Fox House; we were also invited back to the house following the reception. I recall it was a large stone house and he had a lot of antique furniture.  I have never managed to locate the house since.

Sorry I can't help with the house but yes round that area there was a lot of small firms etc. but I was born in Jessops Hospital in1949  and went to live in Sheffield 11 in1959 so don't remember the 70's round there. Good luck with your search try Google maps it's always a good starting place.

Found a newspaper ad from 16 September 1969 for someone called Burdall looking to buy a modern bungalow in about half an acre near the coast in Lincolnshire.  Advert was placed by “Burdall, Oakeswood, Tedgeness Rd, Grindleford S30 1XH.”  Could that be the one?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Strictly speaking, the term "Burdall's Buildings" only applied to the former soldiers' quarters near to Penistone Road. In the 1930s after the Army had left the Barracks, they were rented out as flats - a three-storey tenement block and some two-storey blocks (the former officers' quarters). Here is a 1930s aerial view and a  large-scale 1950s OS map

1933 flats + 1950s OS map.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Slighty batty said:

Found a newspaper ad from 16 September 1969 for someone called Burdall looking to buy a modern bungalow in about half an acre near the coast in Lincolnshire.  Advert was placed by “Burdall, Oakeswood, Tedgeness Rd, Grindleford S30 1XH.”  Could that be the one?

Looks like you've found it! Tedgness Rd appears to be private, so he lived in the big stone house down there, although the postcode S30 1XH is no longer valid, so must have changed for some reason.

59 minutes ago, carosio said:

Looks like you've found it! Tedgness Rd appears to be private, so he lived in the big stone house down there, although the postcode S30 1XH is no longer valid, so must have changed for some reason.

When postcodes were first introduced (early 70's round Sheffield afaik} S30 covered a huge area all the way from the Hope Valley  round  the west of Sheffield  - including Stocksbridge, Deepcar, High Green etc. 

These are now S35 / S36 postcodes.

Edited by Longcol
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, carosio said:

Looks like you've found it! Tedgness Rd appears to be private, so he lived in the big stone house down there . . .

Yes, there is an entry in the Probate Registry index that reads:

"Herbert Alonza Burdall of Oakeswood, Tedgness Road, Grindleford, Derbyshire..

Died 23 April 1983. Probate Leeds 26 May. £1,268,706".

Edited by hillsbro
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, carosio said:

I used to work with a bloke who lives on the road that runs parallel to it (Padley Hill) and that’s private as well. His post code is (or was) S30 1HQ.

1 hour ago, hillsbro said:

Yes, there is an entry in the Probate Registry index that reads:

"Herbert Alonza Burdall of Oakeswood, Tedgness Road, Grindleford, Derbyshire..

Died 23 April 1983. Probate Leeds 26 May. £1,268,706".

He was the son of Herbert Moses Burdall and gets a mention here.

https://wardsendcemetery.wordpress.com/2018/09/18/from-barracks-to-burdalls-guns-to-gravy/

• Like 2