Rivelin dams

Going back to the 1940s  -  1950s - wonderful times for me as a youngster,.. has anyone any memories of spending time - weekends and even full weeks near Rivelin dams,.  a line of wooden huts running up hill from the grey stone house ''Foxholes lodge''

20 hours ago, oscar2157 said:

Going back to the 1940s  -  1950s - wonderful times for me as a youngster,.. has anyone any memories of spending time - weekends and even full weeks near Rivelin dams,.  a line of wooden huts running up hill from the grey stone house ''Foxholes lodge''

Used to go up rivelin nature trail fished most of the ponds was a nice place not bin in years can recall the paddling pools .

Always went to the Paddling Pools in summer. The Mums would be sat all round the pools chatting, 

while us kids had a whale of a time! running about, splashing each other, getting soaked then having a

break for a lolly! GOOD TIMES!!!

• Like 1

As kids, sed to get off the bus there, and hike up the old Roman road, to Stanage Edge.

The school took us out one day to see the water purification plant. We were a little disappointed.

The magical stuff that cleaned Sheffield's water in those big tanks was nothing more than plain sand!

Was it the 54 bus that terminated at the pub ?

We caught that, alighted at the terminus and walked up the road and went down a track on the left to the side of the river where we played for hours. Walking up from the pub, there was a place on the right that I think served tea, there was play equipment there.

A different world now. The pub is now a house, do today's kids play at the side of rivers whilst on their phones. 

The location on the right above the pub has a large stone wall in front.

The footpath of the Sheffield Way passes at the side.

21 minutes ago, Runningman said:

Was it the 54 bus that terminated at the pub ? . . .  Walking up from the pub, there was a place on the right that I think served tea, there was play equipment there. . . .

Yes, it was the No. 54 Rivelin Dams bus from Leopold Street. The little wooden café had swingboats in the field behind. Swingboats were an old Rivelin tradition; this 1907 postcard view shows them adjacent to the newly-built bridge on the "double bend".

Rivelin 06.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hillsbro said:

Yes, it was the No. 54 Rivelin Dams bus from Leopold Street. The little wooden café had swingboats in the field behind. Swingboats were an old Rivelin tradition; this 1907 postcard view shows them adjacent to the newly-built bridge on the "double bend".

Rivelin 06.jpg

Good evening hillsbro

I'm a little confused re your photo

I can't picture in my mind that bridge

Is the building at the foot of the photo the old Rivelin Post office ?

Is that Lodge Lane rising ?

There isn't a bridge near the old 54 terminus !

HELP !