Rivelin dams

17 minutes ago, Runningman said:

Gotcha on that R'S'... hope this sends I'm a bit lost on where to type,..

yes those swing boats  are not the ones at the cafe that was on the Manchester road end of  'Wyming brook drive' // Rivelin 'New road' is the  A6101 that runs down from the old post office all the way to 'Holme lane'  I too can't place a bridge on the 'New road' or the A57 Manchester road  /

24 minutes ago, Runningman said:

Good evening hillsbro

I'm a little confused re your photo

I can't picture in my mind that bridge

Is the building at the foot of the photo the old Rivelin Post office ?

Is that Lodge Lane rising ?

There isn't a bridge near the old 54 terminus !

HELP !

/  Still looking //Thanks to all for your pick ups.

11 hours ago, hillsbro said:

Yes, it was the No. 54 Rivelin Dams bus from Leopold Street. The little wooden café had swingboats in the field behind. Swingboats were an old Rivelin tradition; this 1907 postcard view shows them adjacent to the newly-built bridge on the "double bend".

Rivelin 06.jpg

On 22/07/2024 at 18:33, gaz 786 said:

Used to go up rivelin nature trail fished most of the ponds was a nice place not bin in years can recall the paddling pools .

Thanks for your pickup,.. to the thread.

9 hours ago, Padders said:

Rivelin Dams Bus Terminus A great picture 'thanks',.. I remember this terminus at the Norfolk Arms very well - as a youngster we would walk to the pub from our hut over the dam at 'Foxholes Lodge'  I recall the bus open boarding platform scraping on the road - heavy with passengers - as it turned left towards the city.. I felt lucky that I could stay for longer - sometimes for most of the school holidays.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Runningman said:

Good evening hillsbro

I can't picture in my mind that bridge . . .

It's the RIvelin Valley Road bridge further downstream at "Rivelin Glen"  - arrowed here on the OS  map.

44444444.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hillsbro said:

Yes, it was the No. 54 Rivelin Dams bus from Leopold Street. The little wooden café had swingboats in the field behind. Swingboats were an old Rivelin tradition; this 1907 postcard view shows them adjacent to the newly-built bridge on the "double bend".

Rivelin 06.jpg

Many thanks 'hillsbro' - yes we used to get the bus from Leopold street - before dad got the motor bike and sidecar,. //  Walking from our hut we used the cafe'  with swing boats regular - we knew it as ''Taylors cafe''  // Trying to place the 1907 picture - I think the bridge is where the River Rivelin and the 'Rivelin valley trail' pass beneath. can make out the brickwork on Google Earth  'Street view'..  thanks again for your pick up.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hillsbro said:

It's the RIvelin Valley Road bridge further downstream at "Rivelin Glen"  - arrowed here on the OS  map.

44444444.jpg

Thanks Hillsbro'...  yes that's how I see it on 'Street view'  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Runningman said:

Good evening hillsbro

I can't picture in my mind that bridge

Is the building at the foot of the photo the old Rivelin Post office ?

Is that Lodge Lane rising ?

There isn't a bridge near the old 54 terminus !

HELP !

"S" bend crossing the river just past the Upper Cut Wheel Dam?

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3868179,-1.5320976,19z?authuser=0&entry=ttu

Today it looks like the footpath that can be seen on the left of the old 1907  photo leads to 'Long Lane' but  now massively  built over since 1907.. and now heavily tree covered - but the start of the footpath can be seen on 'Street view' and the two buildings can still be seen on Google Earth.

Interestingly,.  I would think that the  'stumps' seen in the old photo ..  are todays' huge trees 

15 hours ago, Longcol said:

"S" bend crossing the river just past the Upper Cut Wheel Dam?

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3868179,-1.5320976,19z?authuser=0&entry=ttu

Yes, that's the bridge -it was known as "Glen Bridge" but the name seems to be dying out. By the way, the map you used (and several others) shows "Nether Cut Wheel Dam" as "Upper Cut Wheel Dam"! This map (from "Walking the Rivelin" by Keith Kendall) names all the mills.  "Upper Cut Wheel" was just upstream of the bridge.

Mills.jpg

• Like 1