Kamala Harris

1 hour ago, cressida said:

She could be the first black female president,  however a member of the BBC5 Live team said last night  Harris wasn't qualified?

Well she’s black, she’s female, I didn’t know that qualifications were a requirement. I just wish that she wasn’t so loud, why do American politicians shout all the time? :huh:

1 minute ago, El Cid said:

Qualified to be a black woman? She looks quite pale, does her colour matter?

It was an American woman who said she wasn't qualified,  colour doesn't matter to me but factually she is of Jamaican/India parentage I heard

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crookesey said:

Well she’s black, she’s female, I didn’t know that qualifications were a requirement. I just wish that she wasn’t so loud, why do American politicians shout all the time? :huh:

Not just American politicians  .......   Americans in general.    They are so loud, excitable, scream and whoop at anything mildly entertaining,  very annoyingly OTT.    I've got relatives who live over there and they're now the same !     🙄

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, francypants said:

Not just American politicians  .......   Americans in general.    They are so loud, excitable, scream and whoop at anything mildly entertaining,  very annoyingly OTT.    I've got relatives who live over there and they're now the same !     🙄

Yes my wife’s cousin married an American and sounds just like one, she even shouts over the phone.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cressida said:

It was an American woman who said she wasn't qualified,  colour doesn't matter to me but factually she is of Jamaican/India parentage I heard

With such a diverse population in America, you would think it a non issue. Being a young woman is more important when standing against an 80+ year old  Trump.

2 hours ago, cressida said:

She could be the first black female president,  however a member of the BBC5 Live team said last night  Harris wasn't qualified?

Some black Americans think that people like Obama (half white) and Kamala (Jamaican and Indian heritage, white husband) cannot truly relate to the black experience in America.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/02/14/why-some-african-americans-are-questioning-kamala-harriss-blackness/

Even powerful African Americans face a certain degree of criticism if they are perceived to be "acting white". Like Justice Thomas (white wife).

It would be a mistake for Kamala and the Democrats to take the black vote for granted!