Kamala Harris

3 hours ago, cressida said:

SNIPPED

Trump at least has the experience & savvy.

Isn't he the one that suggested injecting bleach to get rid of COVID 

If that's savvy you can keep it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 23/07/2024 at 09:24, crookesey said:

Well she’s black, she’s female, I didn’t know that qualifications were a requirement. I just wish that she wasn’t so loud, why do American politicians shout all the time? :huh:

Some are very strident,  turn-off.

6 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

No he didn’t 

Smart man like Trump? He certainly would not suggest something as utterly stupid as injecting bleach.

It was disinfectant that he suggested could be injected.

He said:

"So supposing we hit the body with a tremendous — whether it's ultraviolet or just a very powerful light — and I think you said that hasn't been checked but you're gonna test it.  And then I said, supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or some other way, and I think you said you're going to test that, too."

"I see the disinfectant that knocks it out in a minute, one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning? As you see, it gets in the lungs, it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it would be interesting to check that."

2 minutes ago, Bellatrix said:

Smart man like Trump? He certainly would not suggest something as utterly stupid as injecting bleach.

It was disinfectant that he suggested could be injected.

He said:

"So supposing we hit the body with a tremendous — whether it's ultraviolet or just a very powerful light — and I think you said that hasn't been checked but you're gonna test it.  And then I said, supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or some other way, and I think you said you're going to test that, too."

"I see the disinfectant that knocks it out in a minute, one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning? As you see, it gets in the lungs, it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it would be interesting to check that."

He was asking the question. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bellatrix said:

He certainly was.  Would you ask about injecting disinfectant?  Or do you already know that, to put it mildly, it's not a good idea?

It's not just disinfectant. Trump has been peddling a ludicrous story about batteries and sharks in his rally speeches for months.

Any sensible and responsible commentator/campaigner in the public eye really shouldn't have been making such observations in the first place.
There was always the possibility of misrepresentation and misunderstanding, as well as just plain stupidity.

Accidental Poisonings Increased After President Trump’s Disinfectant Comments  Time

Some Americans Are Tragically Still Drinking Bleach As A Coronavirus ‘Cure’ Forbes

Explored a little more here as some of the reports were based on surveys with a small sample size.

Did 4% of Americans Really Drink Bleach Last Year? Harvard Business Review

It did lead to an official US CDC pdf publication; but note the date, very early on when most people didn't know that the primary transmission was airborne.
I'd been following the transmission research myself while I was recovering from an earlier infection.
Knowledge and Practices Regarding Safe Household Cleaning and Disinfection for COVID-19 Prevention — United States, May 2020

• Like 1

Idiots in charge, yet Britain follows after the USA like  needy lapdogs. 

Why oh why don't we look to other successful countries like the Scandinavians to see how things should be done.

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Idiots in charge, yet Britain follows after the USA like  needy lapdogs. 

Why oh why don't we look to other successful countries like the Scandinavians to see how things should be done.

What do you mean?  Based on what criteria? What performance indicator? whose judgement?

Once again your opinion is full of oversimplification and assumption.  Maybe take a look behind the clickbait headlines about their "happiness" and "wellbeing" and have a look into some of the misconceptions. Maybe take a look at the other aspects beyond that such as economic power, global position, impact, growth projections, GDP...

For all the positive things supposedly about the Scandinavian way of doing things, what are the negatives, where is their position compared to us?

For the record, it is not just Britain that follows the United States. The majority of the planet does. That is why they are number one on the league of global superpowers. We are currently fifth. Oh and out of interest the Scandinavian countries you mentioned aren't even in the top 20, lagging behind places like Spain, Italy, Ukraine, Israel.....  

The happiness of citizens based on surveys and statistics, is only one element of society. All well and good bring classified as happy but no so content when you have no place on the global stage, decreasing economic impact and limited powers. 

So perhaps it's not so simple as boldly declaring how things "should be done" is it. It's not one-dimensional.