Yes you can do chips in air fryers, and yes you can get books specifically for air fryers. (try ebay) 

They are basically a small oven,

Very useful and a great boon to people living alone, who don't want to heat a whole oven just to warm up a pie. 

• Thanks 1

Both myself and my husband love our air fryer.   Before buying it we wondered if it would become one of those appliances you use a few times then banish it never to be seen again.    Turns out it's one of the best kitchen appliances we've ever bought.   Since we bought it about 9 months ago I bet we've only used the main oven half a dozen times. We use it every day and wouldn't want to be without it now.     

22 minutes ago, francypants said:

Both myself and my husband love our air fryer.   Before buying it we wondered if it would become one of those appliances you use a few times then banish it never to be seen again.    Turns out it's one of the best kitchen appliances we've ever bought.   Since we bought it about 9 months ago I bet we've only used the main oven half a dozen times. We use it every day and wouldn't want to be without it now.     

I was given one ( Air fryer) over the weekend, a friend has upgraded but I've yet to really have a look at it.

I don't have an oven so maybe it will open a whole new world for me!!

I use my wood burner to cook in the winter and in the summer I BBQ or use my electric wok.

I was thinking of buying one, but found out from friends who had bought one, that they only used it once, then never again. You can’t beat a microwave for quickness can you ? But on the other hand they don’t crisp the outside of things. I do believe some microwaves have a grill inside though.

1 hour ago, francypants said:

Have to agree with you francy, it was after reading your post on another thread about how good they are I decided to buy one.  It’s definitely one of best kitchen appliances I have bought along with the microwave oven, they are to very different things tho.

1 hour ago, pattricia said:

I was thinking of buying one, but found out from friends who had bought one, that they only used it once, then never again. You can’t beat a microwave for quickness can you ? But on the other hand they don’t crisp the outside of things. I do believe some microwaves have a grill inside though.

Pat,  I wouldn't be put off by your friends.    If they only used it once and were disappointed with the results I'm pretty sure that they either used it incorrectly or got the timing wrong.  All cooking can be trial and error whatever appliance you use,  if at first you don't succeed  .........   to me it doesn't sound like your friends gave it a fair chance.

It's a different method of cooking and you certainly cannot compare it to microwave cooking,  incidentally we don't use the microwave as much since we bought the air fryer.  We may have been lucky because ( up to now ) we haven't had any bad results.

The first thing I ever cooked in the air fryer was a joint of pork and it was beautiful, brown and roasted on the outside, succulent inside with delicious crackling on top.   I was sceptical at first as I'm not one for kitchen gadgets but if ours broke we'd be straight out to buy another one ASAP.