Violence aginst women and girls.

Posted (edited)

SHOCKING

The new report, titled The National Policing Statement for Violence Against Women and Girls, found that offences involving violence against women and girls in 2022/23 made up 20 per cent of all crime.

SHOCKING

}
}

Edited by cressida

To use another awful cliche, it's not much of a man that hits a woman.

True though.

My Dad taught me that, my Mum agrees.

On 23/07/2024 at 13:21, peak4 said:

I wonder how many contributors to this topic actually read the post to which Cressida was referring.
To make it easier, here's a link avoiding the paywall.
Violence against women soars by 40% as police chief brands crime rate a ‘national emergency’

As mentioned earlier, we also have the Andrew Tate and related issues to contend with; separately, try entering the term "leathering" into this forum's search engine and see how often promotion/normalisation of violence occurs.

My posts mentioning "leathering " are tongue in  cheek . Don't try to score points about it . It makes you sound pathetic . 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

My posts mentioning "leathering " are tongue in  cheek . Don't try to score points about it . It makes you sound pathetic . 

Fella, don't bother. You don't need to explain yourself. 

Christ alive!! Even in the days where we didn't get on it was clear to me that's just banter,  a joke and nowt more.

Some people just like to be (or pretend to be) offended. 

9 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Don't worry, we all know that.

It's a poor attempt to try and get you either banned or their attempts at self righteousness because of insecurities.

3 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Don't worry, we all know that.

It's a poor attempt to try and get you either banned or their attempts at self righteousness because of insecurities.

He likes that word Al.

It contains 10 letters..

13 hours ago, hackey lad said:

I thought it was because you are a window cleaner.

• Haha 1

On 23/07/2024 at 10:12, cressida said:

One in twelve women have suffered abuse which has escalated

Violence against anyone in a civilised society is unacceptable.

One of the problems in the digital world we now inhabit is that gross unsuitable material can be accessed by anyone at the press of a button.

My granddaughter who is not yet eleven says many of her classmates watch films certified as 15! Their parents are abrogating their responsibilities and that is becoming more of a norm.

When you look at the content of programmes now on TV, radio and films in the cinema it is evident that standards have dropped alarmingly over the past 60 years.

Many children of today don’t have a childhood as I and most of my generation knew it.

It is often not in their nature to be violent but when they are raised, or should I say dragged up, by indifferent selfish parents who set terrible standards and couldn’t care less about what their children are doing and where they are, then is there any wonder we now have the society we have!

echo.

13 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Fella, don't bother. You don't need to explain yourself. 

Christ alive!! Even in the days where we didn't get on it was clear to me that's just banter,  a joke and nowt more.

Some people just like to be (or pretend to be) offended. 

No I'm not offended, folk should have realised that by my posting style by now; just trying to make people look at things a different way.
Yes I know that terms such as this are intended as light hearted banter, and not necessarily a direct call to violence.
Elsewhere on this forum and others, we regularly read comments like "Good" about someone being kicked in the head, or hoping that prison inmates are assaulted; yes again just banter from behind a keyboard.
This thread is specifically about about violence against women, most of which occurs in the home.
I'm questioning whether such banter is appropriate overall, as low level comments constantly circulating may create a level of acceptability of certain types of behaviours; be that domestic violence, misogyny, race or religious baiting sexism etc.

I vividly recall a work colleague quite openly telling me how he'd assaulted his wife the previous evening, then blamed her, as though it was normal, and fully and genuinely expected me to agree with him.
Not that long ago, "banter" against gays was common, but hopefully we've stared to move away from that; perhaps the time is due to condemn all violence.
There is often an an immediate deflection away from violence against women on various threads, by claims of women being violent against men.
It does seem a little odd to me, that very often those who joke about violence, are the first to bring up Jo Brand's satirical comment about acid in a comedy show.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, echo beach said:

Violence against anyone in a civilised society is unacceptable.

One of the problems in the digital world we now inhabit is that gross unsuitable material can be accessed by anyone at the press of a button.

My granddaughter who is not yet eleven says many of her classmates watch films certified as 15! Their parents are abrogating their responsibilities and that is becoming more of a norm.

When you look at the content of programmes now on TV, radio and films in the cinema it is evident that standards have dropped alarmingly over the past 60 years.

Many children of today don’t have a childhood as I and most of my generation knew it.

It is often not in their nature to be violent but when they are raised, or should I say dragged up, by indifferent selfish parents who set terrible standards and couldn’t care less about what their children are doing and where they are, then is there any wonder we now have the society we have!

echo.

This was happening quite regularly in the 80's with the advent of VHS rentals etc, I'm not seeing that as an excuse at all.