Information on Overton Road Hillsborough circa 1907

Hi im looking for any information but especially early photos of 51 Overton Road Hillsborough

I believe the property was built by William Patchett and possibly George Beaumont in 1907. I guess that they didnt have plans or architect drawings in those days but there are some very unique features which I am trying to find out information on why it would be built that way

I am also looking for ANY early photos from 1907 - 1920's from outside. 

I am trying to find out if it had a name on the house (for example xxxx villa or xxxx lodge etc). Most of the houses on this road and surrounding roads have names and I believe most were built by Patchett. However there is no name on the stone slab above the front door but this could have worn away/eroded.

Thank you 

I found it in the 1911 and 1921 census. In both instances they’d only given the house number, no name was mentioned. Searching in the newspaper archives for 51 Overton Rd brought up a few adverts around the 1909 period - small ad for a boy to help in a shop, and some ads in the property section - but again, only the house number was given. I’m telling you this so there’s no duplication of effort.

Have you tried looking at the stone slab at different times of the day? Sometimes an inscription which is illegible most of the day can be more visible when the sun catches it at a certain angle. If you get up close to the slab, can you feel anything with your fingers? 

1 minute ago, Slighty batty said:

I found it in the 1911 and 1921 census. In both instances they’d only given the house number, no name was mentioned. Searching in the newspaper archives for 51 Overton Rd brought up a few adverts around the 1909 period - small ad for a boy to help in a shop, and some ads in the property section - but again, only the house number was given. I’m telling you this so there’s no duplication of effort.

Have you tried looking at the stone slab at different times of the day? Sometimes an inscription which is illegible most of the day can be more visible when the sun catches it at a certain angle. If you get up close to the slab, can you feel anything with your fingers? 

yes there is nothing evident at all, we have been up close to it. Maybe it just never had a name which is a shame seen as all the other houses on witherns and crofton have names and dates. The house next door is also named on the driveway pillars but not ours.  

We are just surprised at this due to the house being built (so we have been told) for someone important.

The house inside has fully curved walls in 4 rooms which run ground floor to first floor. This must have been done at considerable cost and effort as well as craftmanship to make skirting boards to fit the curved walls

The driveway pillar of no.51 is turned at 90 degrees compared wih the ones next door.  Maybe it has been turned round at some time and the engraving is no longer visible?

The "someone important" was probably Fred Parr who was living there in 1911 but at that time was just a clerk for the steel firm G.R.Jones (Malinda street).  He later rose to be a director of the firm and moved to Castlewood Road.

The Parr family seem to have had an interest in the house from at least 1909. Some of the adverts offering the house “to let” say to apply to 86 Parkside Rd. The 1905 trade directory on the Sheffield indexers site shows that Parkside Rd address to be the home of Fred’s father Richard. 

thanks for the replies this is really interesting. I knew that Parr was the first person to live there and lived there for a long time. They also had a servant!!

I am desperate to find out why it was built the way it was which is most unusual and rare 

Does anyone have information on George Edward Beaumont - he is listed on the deeds jointly with William Patchett??

George Edward Beaumont was the first surveyor for the Wortley Rural District Council (in post in 1880).  He lived in Grenoside and was still in post in 1914.  He did some wheeling and dealing in property and in 1913 was accused of dodgy dealing connected with the supply of bricks for council building from a brickyard that he had an interest in.