11 minutes ago, peak4 said:

I mentioned Pollards earlier, but didn't provide a link.
It's a bit of a pain parking, but easy walking from Hunters bar and on plenty of bus routes.
It's a shame the museum down the road closed, which had their old West St shop as an internal feature
https://pollardscoffee.co.uk/

Was there a Pollards cafe near the Cathedral in town...?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

Was there a Pollards cafe near the Cathedral in town...?

I think so, though I never visited.
The original Pollards I remember from when I lived just off West St (late '70's early 80's) was a tiny corner shop, which later became an Indian Restaurant in enlarged premises, run by Nirmal who used to have a corner shop on Mulehouse Rd. She expanded from evening cookery lessons into running her own restaurant, which was successful for many years.
At that time, there was a second larger Pollards shop on Charles St in town.
At some point, both the West St & Charles St shops closed, the former being re-located to a museum on Eccleshall Rd.
The Charles St shop re-opened in larger premises opposite and incorporated a cafe to the rear; not sure when the other cafe near the cathedral opened and closed.
Charles St shop/cafe closed, but the business remained as a wholesale/trade supplier & coffee roaster from industrial premises.
Some time later, the shop near Hunters bar opened to supply the public again; I think a small cafe opened and closed very close to Hunters bar.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, peak4 said:

I think so, though I never visited.
The original Pollards I remember from when I lived just off West St (late '70's early 80's) was a tiny corner shop, which later became an Indian Restaurant in enlarged premises, run by Nirmal who used to have a corner shop on Mulehouse Rd. She expanded from evening cookery lessons into running her own restaurant, which was successful for many years.
At that time, there was a second larger Pollards shop on Charles St in town.
At some point, both the West St & Charles St shops closed, the former being re-located to a museum on Eccleshall Rd.
The Charles St shop re-opened in larger premises opposite and incorporated a cafe to the rear; not sure when the other cafe near the cathedral opened and closed.
Charles St shop/cafe closed, but the business remained as a wholesale/trade supplier & coffee roaster from industrial premises.
Some time later, the shop near Hunters bar opened to supply the public again; I think a small cafe opened and closed very close to Hunters bar.

Ah yes I remember that from about 20 years ago!

Apparently it was Sheffield's oldest shop!:

BBC - Sheffield's oldest shop Pollards is to close

Mmm, Nirmals - good food there. I had forgotten about the Pollard's in town; you can still get good tea in Sheffield, I go to Birdhouse on Sidney Street (website seems to be down right now) or get loose green tea from one of the Chinese shops.

Søstrene Grene also do some nice blends.

Edited by Delbow
  • Like 1

On 23/07/2024 at 20:13, Al Bundy said:

Had a bit of a dodgy belly earlier so the missus says get some green tea whilst you are out, I've never had it before and apparently it would help.

Well, I can honestly say I've never tasted owt so brutal, why on earth would anyone drink that?

It tasted like some fake cheap perfume you would buy in Turkey.

So now, I've got a mouth that tastes like Hai Karate and still a dodgy belly.

Al , you know what is good for a dodgy belly ?  Ginger . As for Green tea , I would rather just drink water than have that horrid stuff 

• Like 1