Police filmed kicking man's head at airport

2 hours ago, redruby said:

It on a couple of the Twitter links people have posted on this thread.  Obviously kicking the man in the head was wrong but I believe the police were using their feet because they were armed and there was a danger the men could have taken their weapons from their hands?

What were the police doing taking arms to a domestic altercation? 

Our police are not supposed to be armed unless in certain quite stringent circumstances.

And why kick a man in the face when he is lying innert on the floor and posing no threat?

30 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

How did they know? 

They were called out to an incident of assault between members of the public, if it was terror related they would have been told it was terror related and every copper available would have be3n dispatched…

11 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Erm, it's a major international airport, with its own police there 24/7, they all have guns. 

Have you been to a large airport in the last, ooh, 20 years? 

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, mafya said:

Won’t let me multi quote but when I replied to gaz786 that the coppers knew it wasn’t terror related you quoted my post and posted “they did?”

stop trying to w@nggle out of it like a slippery snake…

🤣

Oh dear, you really do have it bad. That conclusion of yours is in your head. No where else.

Have a lovely day 😀

I read this online as part of the whole saga;

The force said its officers had been called to Terminal 2 of the airport at 8.25pm on Tuesday following reports of a fight.

It said while trying to arrest a suspect, three of its officers were violently attacked and punched to the ground. One officer suffered a broken nose and all three needed hospital treatment.

“As the attending officers were firearms officers, there was a clear risk during this assault of their firearms being taken from them,” a spokesman for the force said.

In that context, I think the use of force was appropriate.

Or.... they could have mollycoddled him, talked, offered him a cup of tea, and then died when he turned into a raging lunatic and stole someone's gun?

• Like 3

Nazir Afzal was a bout right as far as I can tell. No-one here will have any idea of exactly what happened or the preceding incident(s).
Fortunately, (if that's an appropriate word here), this was at an airport, so as well as all the mobile phone footage on the internet, there is likely to be high quality CCTV available for any inquiry. The combination of both types of recording will hopefully see anyone guilty of a crime prosecuted, whether they be police or public.
Personally I'm not defending anyone assaulting the police; it seems likely that the ginger haired copper was the one with the alleged broken nose.
I've already seen commentary, from folk who clearly weren't there, claiming she was useless and standing around watching;  obviously not the case, but once again an opportunity for some to claim she wouldn't get involved because the suspects weren't white, whilst at the same time questioning the use of females in the police force.

An earlier Facebook clip in this thread showed an officer with a Tazer identifying an individual, after which the footage went blurry.
This would appear to be the incident viewed from a different phone video; I'm not defending the comments above the video myself.
At first glance it seems to be a fast moving incident, with someone else in the background also being restrained, but it does looks a bit like an over reaction in the method of arrest of an individual who wasn't seeming to be an immediate threat; shouty certainly, but not immediately threatening.
One of the folk apparently has a brother who is a serving police officer.
None of us here know the facts, and I'd suggest it's unhelpful to to target anyone involved as being wholly in the wrong; I'm hoping it will all come out in the end, before it spreads to wider unrest against the police.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Erm, it's a major international airport, with its own police there 24/7, they all have guns. 

Have you been to a large airport in the last, ooh, 20 years? 

You beat me to it. This is also the case at the major London Rail Terminals, although I don't think they are regularly armed unless the national security level reaches a certain higher level.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Our police are not supposed to be armed unless in certain quite stringent circumstances.

And why kick a man in the face when he is lying innert on the floor and posing no threat?

I’ve seen armed police at Meadowhall before and it wasn’t because they called to a serious incident.  I think it was because there been stabbing there a few days before.  I believe I’ve seen armed police at an airport before too.  I’m not well versed on criteria for police being armed and am not going to research it for the benefit of this forum but I’ve certainly see armed police before many times in quite normal situations.

And I  believe I’ve said at least twice before on this thread that I think it’s wrong this man was kicked in the head so please don’t reply to my posts suggesting I think this was OK.  I do not think it’s OK.

• Like 1