Fury as child rapist is allowed to compete in the Olympic Games

4 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

No there are several categories.   

In this instance statutory rape due to the age.  Age is the factor here as is the issue of the circumstances and potential consent and awareness.   

It's not simply black and white.  If it was, every single defendant in a rape charge would be automatically whacked with a life sentence.   The sexual offences act 2003 has all sorts of clauses and variables. 

Thanks for the clarification, but regardless, you gave the impression that you thought that the offense wasn't bad relatively speaking because the age difference wasn't huge.

4 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

Thanks for the clarification, but regardless, you gave the impression that you thought that the offense wasn't bad relatively speaking because the age difference wasn't huge.

With respect I didn't get that impression at all.

No one is saying what the man did is in any way excusable, and he was rightly punished for his actions.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

No one is saying what the man did is in any way excusable, and he was rightly punished for his actions.

He knew full well what he did was illegal he got off lightly in my opinion. 

10 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

I am sure I'll be shouted down heavily here but since you were asking....

In the grand scheme of things as criminal acts go, I don't think it is that "bad relatively".  Let's look at what we have on the basis of what I've read.....

We have an immature, very foolish 19-year-old whose brain was in his penis.  We have an equally foolish naive 12-year-old desperately trying to act older seemingly  posting pictures of herself on the internet and knowingly and freely engaging with four months of dialogue with this 19-year-old man enough to the point where she willingly gives him her home address, arranges for him to come over, spends the night with him at home engaging by consent in the sexual activity and still allows him to return to the property the next day. 

From what I have read, he did not attack her, he did not coerce her, he did not force himself upon her, he did not drug her, he did not tie her up or put her under duress. 

His crime was for the sole fact of her being under age, which he of course knew about but I argue so did she.  Either way, nobody is denying he committed the crime and that's what he got charged for. That's what he got sentenced for.  That's what he's been punished for. 

What I don't believe is that he should now have his life completely ruined forever just because of some foolish act when he was still a teenager.  I say again, it's punishment and rehabilitation

I would argue that the act he committed is an entirely different planet compared to a rapist who violently attacks and beats the hell out of some girl, forces themselves upon them causing lifelong traumatic physical and psychological injuries or some rapist who repeatedly and routinely physically restrains their partner/wife to deliberately force a sex, act upon them without their consent. 

That to me is what the variables in the law is all about and that's to me why in the present topic under discussion, his sentence was much more reduced compared to other types of (technically) the same crime. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

It was when Ecconoob said "We are not talking some 50-year-old man getting into bed with some toddler here.  It was a 7-year age gap at the time of the incident.']" that I gained that impression.

8 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

His crime was for the sole fact of her being under age, which he of course knew about but I argue so did she.  Either way, nobody is denying he committed the crime and that's what he got charged for. That's what he got sentenced for.  That's what he's been punished for. 

I would consider having sex with a 12 year old quite serious, but he served his time, which was not a short sentence, and he should now be allowed a life.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I am sure I'll be shouted down heavily here but since you were asking....

In the grand scheme of things as criminal acts go, I don't think it is that "bad relatively".  Let's look at what we have on the basis of what I've read.....

We have an immature, very foolish 19-year-old whose brain was in his penis.  We have an equally foolish naive 12-year-old desperately trying to act older seemingly  posting pictures of herself on the internet and knowingly and freely engaging with four months of dialogue with this 19-year-old man enough to the point where she willingly gives him her home address, arranges for him to come over, spends the night with him at home engaging by consent in the sexual activity and still allows him to return to the property the next day. 

From what I have read, he did not attack her, he did not coerce her, he did not force himself upon her, he did not drug her, he did not tie her up or put her under duress. 

What I don't believe is that he should now have his life completely ruined forever just because of some foolish act when he was still a teenager.  I say again, it's punishment and rehabilitation

I would argue that the act he committed is an entirely different planet compared to a rapist who violently attacks and beats the hell out of some girl, forces themselves upon them causing lifelong traumatic physical and psychological injuries or some rapist who repeatedly and routinely physically restrains their partner/wife to deliberately force a sex, act upon them without their consent. 

That to me is what the variables in the law is all about and that's to me why in the present topic under discussion, his sentence was much more reduced compared to other types of (technically) the same crime. 

Thanks for the clarification of your thoughts on this. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, El Cid said:

I would consider having sex with a 12 year old quite serious, but he served his time, which was not a short sentence, and he should now be allowed a life.

Yes he should but I reckon he  might do it again so should be kept an eye on !

1 hour ago, gaz 786 said:

Yes he should but I reckon he  might do it again so should be kept an eye on !

What are you suggesting, inserting a tracking chip on everyone that serves jail time, or just rapists?

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

What are you suggesting, inserting a tracking chip on everyone that serves jail time, or just rapists?

Stick a tracking chip in Pedos, rapists and murderers. 

I'd vote for that.