Fury as child rapist is allowed to compete in the Olympic Games

5 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold.

No he shouldn't. He should have restrictions placed on him so he can't be left alone around kids. Would you be OK employing him in any capacity to work with kids? 

wheres he working with kids, hes at the olympics playing volleyball? his teammates arent kids, i presume there will be parole restrictions on him about no being round children etc, he'll be spending most of his time on the court or in changing rooms, or a french hotel room.

Just now, melthebell said:

wheres he working with kids, hes at the olympics playing volleyball? his teammates arent kids, i presume there will be parole restrictions on him about no being round children etc, he'll be spending most of his time on the court or in changing rooms, or a french hotel room.

My bold

Hopefully he isn't and never will. It was a hypothetical question. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Man has sex with child.

Seems pretty black and white to me. 

No matter how you look at it this 'man' travelled to a different country to have sex with a child.

He's no different to the perverts who travel to Thailand etc to have sex with kids. Are you saying that isn't black and white if not why not? 

How about a child who, as an aside was over  age of responsibility in English and Welsh law,  knowingly posts pictures of herself on a public forum, knowingly ignored the age rules of the platform then willingly engages in conversations with a 19-year-old man who she knows is 7 years older than her,  carries on such conversations on three separate social media platforms for 4 months invites and accepts arrangements for the 19-year-old man to fly from another country to visit her in her own home at the address that she choe to disclose on a night when her mother is not there, willingly spends a whole evening with him and participates in the sexual activity. 

Is that black and white enough. 

1 minute ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold.

No he shouldn't. He should have restrictions placed on him so he can't be left alone around kids. Would you be OK employing him in any capacity to work with kids?

In such instance and subject to knowing all of the relevant facts provided, I probably would. 

Part of those nuances is the differentials between statutory rape, child sexual abuse and child molestation which can be vast.  

My bold

Hopefully he isn't and never will. It was a hypothetical question. 

but the people who let him out of jail will have thought of the hypothetical question and come up with answers, if he breaks the rules he'll be back inside faster than he can hit the volleyball

Just now, melthebell said:

but the people who let him out of jail will have thought of the hypothetical question and come up with answers, if he breaks the rules he'll be back inside faster than he can hit the volleyball

Those same people let him out after 14 months iirc.

Just now, ECCOnoob said:

How about a child who, as an aside was over  age of responsibility in English and Welsh law,  knowingly posts pictures of herself on a public forum, knowingly ignored the age rules of the platform then willingly engages in conversations with a 19-year-old man who she knows is 7 years older than her,  carries on such conversations on three separate social media platforms for 4 months invites and accepts arrangements for the 19-year-old man to fly from another country to visit her in her own home at the address that she choe to disclose on a night when her mother is not there, willingly spends a whole evening with him and participates in the sexual activity. 

In such instance and subject to knowing all of the relevant facts provided, I probably would. 

Part of those nuances is the differentials between statutory rape, child sexual abuse and child molestation which can be vast.  

He was an adult and should have reported the matter to authorities and acted like any normal adult .

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yes of course I have. 

In my opinion, in this instance, that is not what it was. The reported evidence doesn't seem to sway that way.  The charge was very clearly statutory rape. There does not seem to be any display of inducement or misleading or coercing or violence or duress or force from the accused.

Not everything is simply black and white. 

Of course it was grooming.

Rapist Steven Van de Velde's remarks condemned by NSPCC - BBC News

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ECCOnoob said:

Snipped 

My bold.

Clear cut case of grooming then.

At the risk of repeating myself.

She was TWELVE years old.

A child. 

He was NINETEEN years old.

An adult. 

My bold.

Clear cut case of grooming then.

At the risk of repeating myself.

She was TWELVE years old.

A child. 

He was NINETEEN years old.

An adult. 

It's a sign of the times Internet  dial a date at 19 I was in crazy daisy buying a half and having a dance on the off chance of going back for a coffee ️ 

• Like 1

Just now, gaz 786 said:

He was an adult and should have reported the matter to authorities and acted like any normal adult .

Okay then fine, but maybe she should have 'acted' like a child playing with her Barbie under watchful eyes and supervision of her parents rather being left freely to be posting pictures of herself publicly on the internet and spending 4 months knowingly conversing with a 19-year man, inviting them to her home and engaging in sex with him without any signs of duress, force, violence, grooming or misleading on the part of the perpetrator.

You don't possibly see for one second how there is more than one side to this circumstance occurring.  Mitigating matters which would have been clearly thrashed out in the trial leading to the reason he was given sentencing for the distinct crime of  statutory rape with an obvious tariff applying.