Paris Olympics 2024

23 minutes ago, Uggy said:

Magnificent gold for GB in mens triathlon 

7 minutes ago, Uggy said:

Another gold in women's four Scull's.

2 golds and two bronze super Wednesday 

Both timed their finishes to perfection.  Fantastic watching!

I haven't watched any of it so far but I'll no doubt watch a few of the finals.  The thing that always amuses me is that it tends to be viewed by many people as a competition between countries with a league table.

For that to be the case each country would need to be restricted to fielding the same size squad.  Even then, the bigger countries with more to choose from would have the advantage, but when you get the USA with a team of 592 and Greece with a team of 100 it removes the ' League Table ' idea at least in my opinion.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/paris-2024-summer-olympics/which-country-has-the-most-athletes-at-the-2024-olympics-heres-a-look-at-the-most-represented-countries/3502059/

12 minutes ago, m williamson said:

I haven't watched any of it so far but I'll no doubt watch a few of the finals.  The thing that always amuses me is that it tends to be viewed by many people as a competition between countries with a league table.

For that to be the case each country would need to be restricted to fielding the same size squad.  Even then, the bigger countries with more to choose from would have the advantage, but when you get the USA with a team of 592 and Greece with a team of 100 it removes the ' League Table ' idea at least in my opinion.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/paris-2024-summer-olympics/which-country-has-the-most-athletes-at-the-2024-olympics-heres-a-look-at-the-most-represented-countries/3502059/

Individuals have to reach a qualifying standard to compete in the Olympics.  It wouldn't makes sense for there to be the same amount of competitors from every nation. It's a great achievement just to take part in the Olympics.  At the moment Great Britain are 4th in the medal table  with just one gold medal less than China which should make all British people proud.

38 minutes ago, Mateo said:

Individuals have to reach a qualifying standard to compete in the Olympics.  It wouldn't makes sense for there to be the same amount of competitors from every nation. It's a great achievement just to take part in the Olympics.  At the moment Great Britain are 4th in the medal table  with just one gold medal less than China which should make all British people proud.

I'm aware of that, my point was that those who have a tendency to get a bit over patriotic and jingoistic about it are missing the point.

It's a celebration and demonstration of human physical ability and politicising it detracts from the individual performance and has led to the sort of nonsense of the Russian doping scandal years ago when fifty of their athletes ended up having their medals retrospectively stripped from them.

A bit less flag waving wouldn't go amiss in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, m williamson said:

I'm aware of that, my point was that those who have a tendency to get a bit over patriotic and jingoistic about it are missing the point.

It's a celebration and demonstration of human physical ability and politicising it detracts from the individual performance and has led to the sort of nonsense of the Russian doping scandal years ago when fifty of their athletes ended up having their medals retrospectively stripped from them.

Couldn't disagree more.

What's wrong about being patriotic anyway?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, m williamson said:

Flag waving helps make the Olympics the best sporting event in the World. Competitors like to see the support they receive from the crowd in the form of flag waving,   Seeing the Union flag raised after a Great Britain gold medal has been presented is the icing on the cake.  The more British flag waving we see equals more British success for individual competitors. I want to see more British flag waving and not less.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mateo said:

Flag waving helps make the Olympics the best sporting event in the World. Competitors like to see the support they receive from the crowd in the form of flag waving,   Seeing the Union flag raised after a Great Britain gold medal has been presented is the icing on the cake.  The more British flag waving we see equals more British success for individual competitors. I want to see more British flag waving and not less.

Fair enough, as I said in my post I hold a different opinion, if everyone held the same opinion forums wouldn't work would they?

12 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Couldn't disagree more.

What's wrong about being patriotic anyway?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being patriotic providing it's a reasoned and thought out pride in country. In the same way there's nothing wrong with being religious, providing it's contained and not used in a sectarian manner.

Patriotism, religion and ideology are useful tools for dictators, authoritarian states and organisations like the BNP, the Proud Boys, Antifa and numerous Islamic gangs.

Absolutely nothing wrong with people taking pride in the accomplishments of their fellow countrymen/women but you can't argue that there are those that use it for their own purposes can you?

" Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel " .  Samuel Johnson.

" Patriotism is your conviction that your  country is superior to all others because you were born in it. " George Bernard Shaw

😉