Paris Olympics 2024

21 minutes ago, m williamson said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being patriotic providing it's a reasoned and thought out pride in country. In the same way there's nothing wrong with being religious, providing it's contained and not used in a sectarian manner.

Patriotism, religion and ideology are useful tools for dictators, authoritarian states and organisations like the BNP, the Proud Boys, Antifa and numerous Islamic gangs.

Absolutely nothing wrong with people taking pride in the accomplishments of their fellow countrymen/women but you can't argue that there are those that use it for their own purposes can you?

" Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel " .  Samuel Johnson.

" Patriotism is your conviction that your  country is superior to all others because you were born in it. " George Bernard Shaw

😉

Good grief.

2 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Good grief.

Really? 

You said that you  "  couldn't disagree more ". Then you asked the question " What's wrong with being patriotic anyway? "

I answered you, which is something I endeavour to do when asked a question, so what's your problem?

14 minutes ago, m williamson said:

Really? 

You said that you  "  couldn't disagree more ". Then you asked the question " What's wrong with being patriotic anyway? "

I answered you, which is something I endeavour to do when asked a question, so what's your problem?

No problem, it's just your rant was rather unexpected and incredibly melodramatic.

Don't let the patriotism and waving of flags at the Olympics bother you so much.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Good grief.

I don't think m williamson has blood blood running through his veins otherwise he would enjoy the excitement of the Union Flag being waved after a gold medal being won and would enjoy the moment when the gold medal is won. I wouldn't want to mix in the company of such a party pooper. 

32 minutes ago, Mateo said:

I don't think m williamson has blood blood running through his veins otherwise he would enjoy the excitement of the Union Flag being waved after a gold medal being won and would enjoy the moment when the gold medal is won. I wouldn't want to mix in the company of such a party pooper. 

I would have thought he would have been cracking the Guinness out and waving the tridhathach after Irelands gold last night.

43 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

No problem, it's just your rant was rather unexpected and incredibly melodramatic.

Don't let the patriotism and waving of flags at the Olympics bother you so much.

Rant? How exactly did you manage to deduce that I was ranting? What I was doing was simply replying to a question asked by you.

You shouldn't make assumptions based on online posts, it makes you look a bit daft. Melodramatic? Are you actually aware of the meaning of the word? If so, how do you come up with its use in a post that was simply pointing out facts? Are you disputing that patriotism, religion and ideologies have never been used to justify killing?

People waving flags with good intentions such as sports events and the last night of the proms doesn't upset me in the least. On the other hand people waving flags and chanting " Two world wars and one world cup " is  embarrassingly pathetic. OK?

7 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

I would have thought he would have been cracking the Guinness out and waving the tridhathach after Irelands gold last night.

Neither, I was pleased for both medal winners. Having the birth-right of dual nationality and being ethnically 50/50 I enjoy seeing both countries do well.

On the other hand I also enjoy the success of those from other lands. Insularity is not an admirable feature in my view but each to their own.

12 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Perhaps he's not happy that a British swimmer won the gold medal for Ireland.

56 minutes ago, Mateo said:

That why people like him, come to places like this. The only place he can get an audience!

Best avoided like the plague!

31 minutes ago, m williamson said:

Rant? How exactly did you manage to deduce that I was ranting? What I was doing was simply replying to a question asked by you.

You shouldn't make assumptions based on online posts, it makes you look a bit daft. Melodramatic? Are you actually aware of the meaning of the word? If so, how do you come up with its use in a post that was simply pointing out facts? Are you disputing that patriotism, religion and ideologies have never been used to justify killing?

People waving flags with good intentions such as sports events and the last night of the proms doesn't upset me in the least. On the other hand people waving flags and chanting " Two world wars and one world cup " is  embarrassingly pathetic. OK?

Neither, I was pleased for both medal winners. Having the birth-right of dual nationality and being ethnically 50/50 I enjoy seeing both countries do well.

On the other hand I also enjoy the success of those from other lands. Insularity is not an admirable feature in my view but each to their own.

Indeed.

👍

21 minutes ago, trastrick said:

That why people like him, come to places like this. The only place he can get an audience!

Best avoided like the plague!

Oh no, I appear to have upset the George Clooney look alike. Hilarious once again, the 🤡 that keeps on giving 🤣

"People like him" do elucidate.