Paris Olympics 2024

Interesting piece from the Independent today:

Irish boxer Amy Broadhurst, who beat Imane Khelif, at the 2022 World Championships, has defended the Algerian amid the gender controversy storm that has engulfed her at the Olympics.

Broadhurst – a boxer who beat Khelif in the welterweight final of the 2022 IBA Women’s World Championships – defended her in a social media post.

“Have a lot of people texting me over Imane Khelif,” she wrote on Twitter/X. “Personally I don’t think she has done anything to ‘cheat’.

“I think it’s the way she was born and that’s out of her control. The fact that she has been [beaten] by nine females before says it all.”

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, horribleblob said:

Interesting piece from the Independent today:

Irish boxer Amy Broadhurst, who beat Imane Khelif, at the 2022 World Championships, has defended the Algerian amid the gender controversy storm that has engulfed her at the Olympics.

Broadhurst – a boxer who beat Khelif in the welterweight final of the 2022 IBA Women’s World Championships – defended her in a social media post.

“Have a lot of people texting me over Imane Khelif,” she wrote on Twitter/X. “Personally I don’t think she has done anything to ‘cheat’.

“I think it’s the way she was born and that’s out of her control. The fact that she has been [beaten] by nine females before says it all.”

It seems to be one of those situations where no one is at fault but it doesn't stop it being more dangerous than boxings inherent dangers.

She is not a trans athlete as far as I'm aware, but has naturally occuring high testosterone levels.

1 hour ago, Uggy said:

It seems to be one of those situations where no one is at fault but it doesn't stop it being more dangerous than boxings inherent dangers.

She is not a trans athlete as far as I'm aware, but has naturally occuring high testosterone levels.

It seems a bit mad to even consider banning athletes based on testosterone levels, it's kind of saying you shouldn't compete if you're stronger or faster than all the others - isn't that sort of the point?

1 minute ago, Delbow said:

It seems a bit mad to even consider banning athletes based on testosterone levels, it's kind of saying you shouldn't compete if you're stronger or faster than all the others - isn't that sort of the point?

Providing it's natural, yep

4 hours ago, Uggy said:

Providing it's natural, yep

If her high level of testosterone is due to her having XY chromosomes it might be natural but a long way from being fair. Tough on her but I don’t think she should be allowed to compete.

In the time it's taken Finke to win gold in the 1500mtr freestyle  in a world record time I've eaten a 180grm chilli flavour bag of corn chips and a jar of soured cream and chive dip.

Am I a record breaker?