Winter Fuel Allowance payments scrapped for millions of pensioners.

11 hours ago, rogets said:

How many pensioners voted for Labour?

If they did, then they sadly are getting what they voted for, that probably also gos for Conservative voters who's party would have done the same if they won.

How many pensioners voted for Brexit?

That's far, far more consequential to the issue at hand, a major contributor to the issues that have led to this action.

They are getting what they voted for.

11 hours ago, rogets said:

Only those who voted Reform or other minor parties can look on and not feel guilty at what has been passed today

Reform are, for the most part, the same idiots that brought Brexit. They are at least as culpable.

Policies that are, essentially, "Liz Truss on steroids"... more likely to solve the pension crisis by making sure pensioners go back to "dying promptly" upon retirement than solve anything. 🤣

A more accurate claim would be:

"Only those who voted remain can look on and not feel guilty at what has been passed today"

🙄

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rogets said:

How many pensioners voted for Labour?

If they did, then they sadly are getting what they voted for, that probably also gos for Conservative voters who's party would have done the same if they won.

Only those who voted Reform or other minor parties can look on and not feel guilty at what has been passed today

My mate Fred, is a 70 year old pensioner who lives on his own...

Every November he goes to Town and chucks a house brick through a shop window.

Gets arrested and appears in court.

The judge always gives him a custodial sentence of 3 months.

He says it's great in prison, nice and warm, gets well fed, watches television, spends time in the gym, and receives prompt medical attention if need be.

On Christmas Eve the lags get the hooch out and have a good old knees up, followed by a Turkey dinner with all the trimmings on Christmas day.

He says he wouldn't have it any other way...

36 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Reform are, for the most part, the same idiots that brought Brexit. They are at least as culpable.

There is no political party called Reform UK.

The Reform UK  MP's  are Brexit Party members i.e. exactly "... the same idiots that brought Brexit".

The only reason they are called Reform UK is because Brexit Party applied to the Electoral Commission to call itself Reform UK , only in UK parliamentary elections.

Farage owns 60% of Reform UK Party Ltd - and he appointed himself leader.

43 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Leave voter, perchance? 🤣

Brexit has created massive hole in public financies, half of the UK's entire fiscal hole is a direct result of it.

Don't even join Ted Heaths Common Market voter.

Edited by RollingJ

17 hours ago, El Cid said:

Are most of the pensioners on here the wealthy type, anyone just on the state pension?

I bumped into a couple of old dears moaning about it the other day.

"I use that money for Christmas presents for the Grandkids"

"I was going to give it to xzy for some Holiday money"

Yes love this is the problem, it's to heat your home, not buy gifts.

Perhaps if it was given as some kind of credit via your energy company, it wouldn't have been seen as an easy target for cuts?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, geared said:

Perhaps if it was given as some kind of credit via your energy company, it wouldn't have been seen as an easy target for cuts?

Yes, I’ve no doubt some put it towards their winter skiing holiday.

They’ll certainly be piste off!😆

echo.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, geared said:

The same arguments could be applied to lots of other state benefits and allowances.  Why provide people with actual money at all.   

Why not fully control the whole system through direct to supplier payments, offset credits or vouchers to make sure Claimants are legitimately using a benefit for the purpose its supposed to provide.   You cant feed your kids..... here is some supermarket vouchers with restrictions on what can be purchased - no monthly direct payments, no lumps of cash in the bank to risk temptation of being spend on other things or falling into the wrong hands.   

You need rent support....   right here is a credit direct to your landlord/housing provider.   No messing around persuading a landlord to accept UC or risk tenants spending it on other things.   

You have someone with severe addictions, special needs or unable to manage their affairs.... controlled vouchers and payments for specific suppliers for rent, energy, travel and food. That's it.  No lump sum monies for them to have to manage, no long-winded administration and assessments to ensure a suitable guardian is in place, no risk of monies being used for drugs/substances/fraud.  Just a simple process of direct from government to supplier to end user.     

However, you even attempt to suggest such a strictly controlled welfare system and you can hear the screams, outrage and objections from a mile away. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

The same arguments could be applied to lots of other state benefits and allowances.  Why provide people with actual money at all.   

Why not fully control the whole system through direct to supplier payments, offset credits or vouchers to make sure Claimants are legitimately using a benefit for the purpose its supposed to provide.   You cant feed your kids..... here is some supermarket vouchers with restrictions on what can be purchased - no monthly direct payments, no lumps of cash in the bank to risk temptation of being spend on other things or falling into the wrong hands.   

You need rent support....   right here is a credit direct to your landlord/housing provider.   No messing around persuading a landlord to accept UC or risk tenants spending it on other things.   

You have someone with severe addictions, special needs or unable to manage their affairs.... controlled vouchers and payments for specific suppliers for rent, energy, travel and food. That's it.  No lump sum monies for them to have to manage, no long-winded administration and assessments to ensure a suitable guardian is in place, no risk of monies being used for drugs/substances/fraud.  Just a simple process of direct from government to supplier to end user.     

However, you even attempt to suggest such a strictly controlled welfare system and you can hear the screams, outrage and objections from a mile away. 

Some energy companies also give discount on bills, the warm house discount.

We could make energy companies give this WFP directly, paid for by other energy users.

There is no responsibility on parents to spend benefits wisely, I believe there should be.