Winter Fuel Allowance payments scrapped for millions of pensioners.

This is from a Reuters fact check article:

For utilities, Reeves claimed 1,269 pounds for her accommodation and 1,460 pounds for her constituency office in 2023-24, IPSA figures show, opens new tab. The total, 2,729 pounds, is less than the 3,400-pound figure in the social media claim.

This is the full article:

Fact Check: UK’s Reeves does not have a 3,400-pound heating allowance, contrary to online claims | Reuters

12 hours ago, hackey lad said:

With all due respect an answer to my question , are Starmer and Rayner hypocrites over the pensioners heating allowance , would be welcome .

Compared to anyone who voted leave, who are now all upset at the inevitable consequences like this one?

On balance, not so much 🙄

14 hours ago, hackey lad said:

With all due respect an answer to my question , are Starmer and Rayner hypocrites over the pensioners heating allowance , would be welcome .

Most wealthy successful people don't worry about their heating bills

15 hours ago, hauxwell said:

There’s a lot of pensioners who have very good occupational pensions who received the heating allowance, but through out there working life they will have contributed by paying tax and in retirement they are still contributing by paying various taxes. The younger generation who are in work will be funding some of the pensions for todays elderly and so will the pensioners who have retired and are still paying tax.

I wouldn’t take there heating allowance off them. Let them decide if they want to receive it or opt out and give it back to Government, they have more than made there contributions to society and are continuing to do so, unlike some who have never done a days work.

My Bold.

How many accountants take instruction from their clients to turn down an annual tax-free lump sum? 

Accountants are professionals who are required to maximise their clients wealth, they are not required to have a conscience and concern themselves with how Tax-Free lump sums are funded.

I don't have an accountant but I do have responsibilities and therefore my conscience is clear that I do have to maximize my wealth with an annual tax-free lump sum. 

But that is not what the Heating benefit is for and neither is it fair that families and individuals on minimum or no wages have to stump up to enhance my wealth or buy old men beer.

When it's gone it's gone! 

Help those who don't claim maximise their income through benefits they are are entitled to.

Require energy companies to only charge for used  energy.

Remove standing charges.

Ban contracts that disadvantage those least able to pay.

12 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Remove standing charges 

I have a holiday cottage which is only used in the warmer months. I hardly use any electricity there, the standing charges are usually more than the consumption. Removing standing charges would be great for second home owners like me, but presumably it would be funded by everyone else paying higher tariffs to compensate. I don’t think that would help the poor. It might be better to introduce social tariffs like they have in Belgium, where folks who are disabled etc pay a lower tariff for their consumption. 

22 minutes ago, Slighty batty said:

I have a holiday cottage which is only used in the warmer months. I hardly use any electricity there, the standing charges are usually more than the consumption. Removing standing charges would be great for second home owners like me, but presumably it would be funded by everyone else paying higher tariffs to compensate. I don’t think that would help the poor. It might be better to introduce social tariffs like they have in Belgium, where folks who are disabled etc pay a lower tariff for their consumption. 

You need to look at a switch to Utilita, the standing charge is spread on the first two units used each day, rather than being charged by default.

12 minutes ago, Slighty batty said:

On that same basis Slightly, pensioners who are more likely to be at home more all the time and subsequently have their heating on more should be able to pay a lower tariff.

It’s ironic that when you retire your income decreases and your outgoings often increase.

echo.

14 minutes ago, echo beach said:

On that same basis Slightly, pensioners who are more likely to be at home more all the time and subsequently have their heating on more should be able to pay a lower tariff.

It’s ironic that when you retire your income decreases and your outgoings often increase.

echo.

Why? 

Why are people labouring under some kind of misaphrension that all pensioners are skint? 

27% of pensioners are millionaires ffs. 

What about young people who are skint and need to put the heating on, should they get to pay less too?