Winter Fuel Allowance payments scrapped for millions of pensioners.

Part of the problem with the pensionable age is that people seem to start full time work later in life nowadays.  Many people in my father’s generation left school at 14. The majority of my generation left school at 16 or 18, and only a small percentage went on to university. But now it’s the norm for everyone to go to uni… and then to take a year backpacking round Thailand or wherever… and then not to know what to do with themselves and so they do a second degree or a Masters. They can be in their mid 20’s before they start full time work, and so the retirement age would need to be adjusted to compensate for that. 

• Like 4

On 13/09/2024 at 05:14, despritdan said:

I know a lot more than 5 pensioners and none of them are millionaires.

I think the quote was that they live in million pound households which is quite different. 

With the way housing costs have risen, particularly in the south east, I suspect a number of larger houses are in the million pound bracket. However this is not disposable income. Nor are many pensioners in a position to downsize, Moving is expensive and tricky, and  requires organisation and stamina as well as a myriad of practical skills. Added to which there is a dearth of suitable accommodation for elderly people. 

A number of these 'millionaire' pensioners may well be living in larger, multi generational houses, with grandparents, parents, and children all under the same roof, which again is very different from what was implied. 

Like despiitdan, I know many OAPs, and they most certainly do not include any millionaires. Most live rather frugally and  constantly worry about the rising cost of living. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I think the quote was that they live in million pound households which is quite different. 

With the way housing costs have risen, particularly in the south east, I suspect a number of larger houses are in the million pound bracket. However this is not disposable income. Nor are many pensioners in a position to downsize, Moving is expensive and tricky, and  requires organisation and stamina as well as a myriad of practical skills. Added to which there is a dearth of suitable accommodation for elderly people. 

A number of these 'millionaire' pensioners may well be living in larger, multi generational houses, with grandparents, parents, and children all under the same roof, which again is very different from what was implied. 

Like despiitdan, I know many OAPs, and they most certainly do not include any millionaires. Most live rather frugally and  constantly worry about the rising cost of living. 

He said one in five are millionaires with no indication that he was referring to the value of their homes. You're right to point out that living in a valuable home thanks to the rise in property prices doesn't mean somebody has a lot of disposable income. There'll be a lot of pensioners living in valuable homes but that doesn't mean they aren't struggling to pay their bills because they have a small income.

5 minutes ago, despritdan said:

He said one in five are millionaires with no indication that he was referring to the value of their homes. You're right to point out that living in a valuable home thanks to the rise in property prices doesn't mean somebody has a lot of disposable income. There'll be a lot of pensioners living in valuable homes but that doesn't mean they aren't struggling to pay their bills because they have a small income.

They have the option of taking out some of the equity they have in their houses though, granted it will be high percentage but the option is there if required.

My next door neighbour is 95 years old, and complains to me about losing his winter fuel allowance..

So yesterday, out of the goodness of my heart, I thought I'd help him out..

Yesterday, I offered him £5 to mow my lawn front and back, it only takes a couple of hours..

He declined my generous offer..

You can't help some people.........

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Padders said:

My next door neighbour is 95 years old, and complains to me about losing his winter fuel allowance..

Yesterday, I offered him £5 to mow my lawn front and back, it only takes a couple of hours..

I’ll take you up on that, just leave me your house keys when you’re next going out and I’ll see to everything for you, anything to help!

2 minutes ago, crookesey said:

I’ll take you up on that, just leave me your house keys when you’re next going out and I’ll see to everything for you, anything to help!

Cheers Mr. Crookesey,

And while your at it, can you clean my windows, I've got ladders..

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Padders said:

Well Padders , you only gave him a pair of scissors to do it with , so what do you expect 🤣