Winter Fuel Allowance payments scrapped for millions of pensioners.

On 30/07/2024 at 14:48, echo beach said:

In any case it will help with my fitness regime in so much as I’ll now cut more logs so that in the depths of Winter I can sit around the open fire roasting my chestnuts.😁

Logs?

Open Fires?

Not on Labour's watch - not "green" you see!

From water to wood-burning stoves: 11 green challenges Labour must solve

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/jul/09/11-green-challenges-labour-must-solve

• Like 1

19 hours ago, El Cid said:

Get real, if he/she is a Labour MP, they need to balance the books after being left with no money.

No money?

According to Labour before the election there would be plenty of money thanks to Windfall Taxes and going after non-doms....

April: Labour promises £2.6bn non-dom ‘crackdown’
A Labour government would raise “just over £1bn” in its first year in power through non-dom crackdown

https://www.ftadviser.com/regulation/2024/04/09/labour-promises-2-6bn-non-dom-crackdown/

On 06/08/2024 at 13:40, echo beach said:

Let them try and stop me!

echo.

I think you'll be quite alright.

Given they struggle to fund even basic front line services, I can't see anyone having the cash to employ people to work late at night, walking the streets and banging on doors to check someone is using properly seasoned logs or smokeless coal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iansheff said:

They are saying that energy bills are to soar by £140 from October as Ofgem are allowing the suppliers to raise the price cap by 10%.

Energy bills to soar by £140 to heap misery on pensioners (msn.com)

I don't see why there should be any price cap!

Why not cap the price of housing, is this price control a new permanent thing, where the Government subsidises energy?

We had price controls in the 1960s under Harold Wilson, are we going back to those times, really?

On 08/08/2024 at 20:42, El Cid said:

I don't see why there should be any price cap!

Get onto the Octopus tracker tariff and it'll follow the wholesale price of energy not the Government cap.  People have saved a good amount over the last year.

If it's a particularly harsh winter tho, you may end up losing out.