Winter Fuel Allowance payments scrapped for millions of pensioners.

I think the petition will force the bean counters back to the drawing board.  With newly sharpened pencils, they should raise the threshold  for pension credit and give back the allowance to the poorer pensioners.  We live in hope that they will do the right thing by some of the most vulnerable and needy in our society.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tipstaff said:

I think the petition will force the bean counters back to the drawing board.  With newly sharpened pencils, they should raise the threshold  for pension credit and give back the allowance to the poorer pensioners.  We live in hope that they will do the right thing by some of the most vulnerable and needy in our society.

What they could do is make energy companies pay the winter fuel allowance, like they did for some of the green issues.

They could also make it the same as child benefit, so people earning more than £60k don't get it, but that is making the benefits system really complex.

We need to reform the system so that those on benefits don't get more than Mr Average earning £12 per hour.

But personally, I think pensioners have had the triple lock and have done better than ALL other benefit claimants.

On 31/07/2024 at 00:30, Prettytom said:

No.

You made a claim. Now back it up.

You cannot coerce people to answer,  although I'd like to hear the claim I wouldn't pressure him.   Let it go.

On 25/08/2024 at 13:31, crookesey said:

It’s very much about how they ended up with nowt, if they had summat and had a great time ending up with nowt, then more power to their elbow. However been born with nowt, living their lives with nowt, and dying with nowt whilst having spent their lives moaning about having nowt, leads me to conclude that they deserved nowt.

I’ll sit on any shelf folk wish to seat me on, I’m very content with my lot, which makes me ‘smug’ to one forumer, so be it, I suppose that they need something to occupy their mind.

On 25/08/2024 at 14:26, crookesey said:

Never trust a man who swears poverty, they can usually buy and sell you, (another grandad quote).

15 minutes ago, geared said:

I thought they lost it ages ago?

I remember seeing on the news some chap in Benidorm belly aching because it was his winter pub money.

Depends on the country, I think if it’s a warm one they don’t get it. Also they need to have had settled status there since before the Brexit date, and they have to have at least 20 years NI contributions

• Thanks 2