Winter Fuel Allowance payments scrapped for millions of pensioners.

As the debate rumbles on,in my opinion  the scheme was always ill conceived and should have been better directed to those who need the support.

That is not just OAPs by any means and certainly does not include any of my friends and family .

On a wider issue and I am sure that I am not alone in this as we lived in a rented house in lower Walkley.The only heated room was from a single open coal fire and the hot water was from a gas geyser.

No heating whatsoever in any bedroom and in cold weather we drew pictures in the frost that had formed on the inside of the bedroom windows.Freezing pipes in the outside loo was also a feature so paraffin heaters were used by many.
I am certainly not complaining about our conditions and I cannot remember anyone else doing so.

The first time many enjoyed the benefits of Central Heating and hot water on tap was when the slum clearance programme came about and council houses were made available.

Many of the house cleared in Walkley were far from slums but certainly lacked the amenities that we now expect,and rightly so.

Were have we gone wrong?

The relationship between wages and the basics of housing ,fuel and food seem to have been lost for many.It now seems to be necessary for 2 wages at least to be earned per household to get by.

It should be so much better for many than it seems to be and I really do feel  for young and old alike who have such a struggle.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RJRB said:

As the debate rumbles on,in my opinion  the scheme was always ill conceived and should have been better directed to those who need the support.

That is not just OAPs by any means and certainly does not include any of my friends and family .

On a wider issue and I am sure that I am not alone in this as we lived in a rented house in lower Walkley.The only heated room was from a single open coal fire and the hot water was from a gas geyser.

No heating whatsoever in any bedroom and in cold weather we drew pictures in the frost that had formed on the inside of the bedroom windows.Freezing pipes in the outside loo was also a feature so paraffin heaters were used by many.
I am certainly not complaining about our conditions and I cannot remember anyone else doing so.

The first time many enjoyed the benefits of Central Heating and hot water on tap was when the slum clearance programme came about and council houses were made available.

Many of the house cleared in Walkley were far from slums but certainly lacked the amenities that we now expect,and rightly so.

Were have we gone wrong?

The relationship between wages and the basics of housing ,fuel and food seem to have been lost for many.It now seems to be necessary for 2 wages at least to be earned per household to get by.

It should be so much better for many than it seems to be and I really do feel  for young and old alike who have such a struggle.

So ???? 

If someone is without the ability to pay for food, energy and rent due to them smoking 40 fags a day plus drinking copious amounts of alcohol along with feeding a drug habit, does that make them worthy of benefit payments? :huh:

Don’t know if anyone else has read this but Labour are looking at stopping the single persons 25% council tax discount for people who live alone. So apart from pensioners losing their heating allowance 4 million pensioners could also lose the single persons tax discount.  What next I wonder. 

1 minute ago, hauxwell said:

Don’t know if anyone else has read this but Labour are looking at stopping the single persons 25% council tax discount for people who live alone. So apart from pensioners losing their heating allowance 4 million pensioners could also lose the single persons tax discount.  What next I wonder. 

All your wages/salary/pension is paid to the government, and they decide what you can have?

• Like 1

The current incumbents will get away with whatever they wish because everything that they do is to right the wrongs if the previous government. Now if you believe that and don’t wish to to look a fool, you should keep away from mirrors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Labour will look to punish those that have worked hard and studied hard that's enabled them to earn good money.

It's what Labour do.

And by the time that the penny has dropped the ones most suited to put things right will have thrown in the towel and opted for pastures free from left wing corruption.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1