Winter Fuel Allowance payments scrapped for millions of pensioners.

3 hours ago, Tipstaff said:

Back to the main topic,  I believe it's looking likely that the Unions are pressing the Prime Minister to do a U-Turn.

Best test for the new PM.

Bend now and the Unions will have you in their pocket.

6 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

This raises an interesting point .

Do these folk being recruited from poorer countries have the same training, schools, work experience and so forth that would be the same as the UK employees?

Even if they have similar training, they won't be skilled in using all the equipment that a rich country such as the UK has.

We will just take whoever we can get.

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

Indeed. A basic allowance, then the 30%  would have to be rigorously applied to all taxpayers on all money. No dodgy accountants finding fancy loopholes, no hiving off huge amounts to the Cayman islands. etc. And that means rewriting a lot of the legislation, and custodial sentences for miscreants.

A basic allowance will favour the poor, which is my whole point. Some people expect the rich to pay more, which is why we have a democracy.

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

A basic allowance will favour the poor, which is my whole point. Some people expect the rich to pay more, which is why we have a democracy.

I don't think this country is much of a democracy at the moment , which is a bad thing 

• Like 3

Well at least 1 Labour MP had the balls to vote against the motion, That will be him suspended soon no doubt.

348 to 228 with 53 Labour MPs abstaining and a further 2 who were recently suspended abstaining too

• Like 1