Weird Boot problem Win10

I have a pc with windows 10 Pro. 

The C drive is an NVME

I have 2 storage drives

1. 1TB SSD

2. 1TB Mechanical HDD

All works fine.

I went to replace the Mechanical drive with a 2TB SSD.

Swapped the drives over and the pc won't boot.

It says select bootable drive and restart or something. 

So I checked the BIOS for the boot order.

Made sure it was correct and the C drive NVME is selected.

Tried booting but got the message again.

Anyway. Double checked the bios and all seemed correct but still won't boot.

So, I put the Mechanical drive back in, tried to boot up and it works as it did before but if I remove the storage drive I can't get it to boot.

Any ideas?

Ta 👍 

Sounds like a daft question, but are you using the same cable from the disconnected drive to plug into the new drive?
Could just be something with the boot order.

I had something similar with an old PC years ago... one of those times where you end up hating technology 😂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

Sounds like a daft question, but are you using the same cable from the disconnected drive to plug into the new drive?
Could just be something with the boot order.

I had something similar with an old PC years ago... one of those times where you end up hating technology 😂

Yes I'm using the same cable. Actually it's one of those rail type things where I slide the hdd  into place and the connection is fixed to the chassis.

I removed the mechanical drive, slid I'm the SSD and then the problem started.

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I'm no hardware expert, but I wonder if the new SSD is incompatible with your machine, for some reason?

I don't think it is. It's just a standard SSD but the problem isn't the new drive. The problem is when I remove my storage drive (F Drive), the pc won't boot even though the correct C drive is selected in the bios. 

It's very frustrating 

Posted (edited)

I'm thinking maybe hot swapping the F Drive with the new SSD would work?

Boot up as normal.

Remove F Drive

Replace with new Drive and see how that works? 

Actually ignore that. I'm not sure it would work and it might cause more problems 

Edited by The_DADDY

6 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I don't think it is. It's just a standard SSD but the problem isn't the new drive. The problem is when I remove my storage drive (F Drive), the pc won't boot even though the correct C drive is selected in the bios. 

It's very frustrating 

That doesn't make sense - if the OS is on 'C', taking out 'F' should have zero effect. If you don't mind, I'll shut up and let someone else (Ghoser or zach, maybe) see if they have any ideas.

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

That doesn't make sense - if the OS is on 'C', taking out 'F' should have zero effect. If you don't mind, I'll shut up and let someone else (Ghoser or zach, maybe) see if they have any ideas.

My bold

Absolutely 🤣

I'm no expert on this at all; you checked the bios for the boot order and have C as the top level.
Is the HDD still showing in the boot order, but at a lower level?
Just wondering, when you boot the PC, is it looking for C, failing to se it as a bootable drive, dropping down the list to the HDD, and booting to that.
Whilst the operating system isn't on HDD, is the boot file there, which then directs back to C for Windows boot.
Was W10 originally installed from a boot image on the HDD?