Demonstrations, Riots and Disorder Across the UK Following the Southport Attacks

Something doesn't sound right to me about the above, so I had a quick look online and did various searches:

image.png.13cfd11f3f25b55df40c57cf62bc23fb.png

image.png.65a5c2bf66fbc3bc4649f8696a5790b5.png

image.png.3d13b5b869bb2bb5ccedc68b542bae2f.png

image.png.7a172962f7fd78d32ffd21da72e36355.png

If anyone can provide definitive clarity that this is the case I would be grateful

It may be more complicated than it first appears, though this is wildly outside my terms of experience.
From the article posted in the Telegraph, the info came from an FOI request to a single hospital.
It seems this is specifically about Universal Credit, rather than other benefit payments.
Maybe something was omitted or overlooked when UC was introduced by the last government.
The Telegraph report itself contains the following line; They may of course not follow it up, or decide that the provisions are correct, after review.

Labour has pledged to review the policy if it enters government.

A party spokesman told The Telegraph: ‘If we are privileged to come into power, Labour would urgently look at this case, including talking to the victims’ families.’

This may also be of relevance; bear in mind that this offender is subject to a "Hospital Order With Restrictions" and can only be released under certain circumstances, I think via an MOJ decision, but will certainly stand to be corrected.

If anyone is genuinely interested, this link takes you to a downloadable word doc from a government web site, but I don't know enough about the subject to comment further myself.

Welfare benefits    MentalHealthLaw website- not direct link to the relevant act(s)
Most psychiatric patients, including those subject to a hospital order, are entitled to receive welfare benefits. But patients who, were it not for their illness, would be serving a term of imprisonment, do not receive any welfare benefits: domestic and ECtHR challenges to this situation by s47/49 and s45A patients have been unsuccessful, the final judgment being SS v UK 40356/10 54466/10 [2015] ECHR 520.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

I don’t accept that people commit crimes of this type because of mental health conditions. In my opinion they are just bad. Put them in hospital but send them to jail when they’ve recovered.
That’s not to say other types of crime are not caused by mental health conditions, kleptomania for example. 

Why kleptomania but not serious crimes/atrocities? How do you make that distinction?

24 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

It’s doubtful but in theory he could be released one day and he’ll have a nice little nest egg to look forward to, failing that presumably he can bequeath it.

On your second point, I don’t accept that people commit crimes of this type because of mental health conditions. 

Crikey, that's quite a bit to digest. I'm guessing you've never personally known anyone with psychosis?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Because even someone with mental health issues knows that murder is the ultimate crime.

Thanks for your reply. I honestly don't think that someone with psychosis knows the difference. Maybe there's a medical professional in the field on here that can comment?

40 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

It’s doubtful but in theory he could be released one day and he’ll have a nice little nest egg to look forward to, failing that presumably he can bequeath it.

On your second point, I don’t accept that people commit crimes of this type because of mental health conditions. In my opinion they are just bad. Put them in hospital but send them to jail when they’ve recovered.
That’s not to say other types of crime are not caused by mental health conditions, kleptomania for example. 

Indeed .

It seems to be nowadays that there is always some damp cloth wanting to make an excuse for someone's behaviour.

Some folk,whether young are old are just horrible.

Deal with it.