Demonstrations, Riots and Disorder Across the UK Following the Southport Attacks

Surely "Mental Health Issues" is a very generic term covering a whole range of symptoms from such as slight clinical depression through to psychosis and other, and as such isn't really that helpful when used in news debates. It gets used both an excuse by some, but also demonization of someone who is unable to relate to the world as the rest of us see it.

Some folk with "mental health issues" do outwardly function more or less normally, and get on with earning a living, whilst very often having a very hard time of it; others are detained for their own safety, and that of others.
Similarly "cardiac/respiratory issues", range from someone with mild AF who goes out running every week, to others with advanced heart failure, bedridden and unable to feed themselves.

2 minutes ago, peak4 said:

Surely "Mental Health Issues" is a very generic term covering a whole range of symptoms from such as slight clinical depression through to psychosis and other, and as such isn't really that helpful when used in news debates. It gets used both an excuse by some, but also demonization of someone who is unable to relate to the world as the rest of us see it.

Some folk with "mental health issues" do outwardly function more or less normally, and get on with earning a living, whilst very often having a very hard time of it; others are detained for their own safety, and that of others.
Similarly "cardiac/respiratory issues", range from someone with mild AF who goes out running every week, to others with advanced heart failure, bedridden and unable to feed themselves.

Have you medical experience?

1 hour ago, prince al said:

My point is that they just had to get on with earning a living to survive.

There’s a whole spectrum of mental health issues.  Most of us will have mental health issues at some point in our lives but fortunately most are not so severe they cause people to be harm to theirs or themselves.  Someone that goes around attacking people with a knife due to mental health issues is at the extreme end of the spectrum.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cressida said:

Clarify please

I am not medically trained, I was an engineer before retirement.
I have friends who have had mental health issues, ranging from mild depression to being admitted to mental health hospitals for treatment.
I also have friends in social work who have been involved with having clients compulsorily  admitted to hospitals.
My own health record is no-one else's business but mine, though I have never been treated for, needed,  or sought any sort of treatment for my own mental health.

10 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Always worth another giggle and some great comments.

I'm not sure this will ever get old. I enjoyed "Straight from Wetherspoons to the front line" 😂