Demonstrations, Riots and Disorder Across the UK Following the Southport Attacks

42 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

My guess is that the protest is more due to past occurrences rather than this latest incident in Southport. It's the straw that's broke the camels back for many, in my opinion.

Have any Mosques actually been damaged yet?

Given the footage of the locals turning out in Southport to rebuild the mosque's boundary wall, and the fire service helping to replace broken windows, I'd suggest that probably a yes.

Amongst many other venues, there is a planned demo at the first UK mosque in Liverpool, I believe it's currently under restoration
http://www.abdullahquilliam.org/

WHO WE ARE
The Abdullah Quilliam Society
We are a small dedicated team whose aim is to restore the First Mosque in England situated at Brougham Terrace, Liverpool. The Mosque was founded by a Victorian English convert to Islam: Abdullah Quilliam in 1887. Did you know that for almost one hundred years this building was used as Liverpool Records of marriages and Births. The staff who worked there used to refer to it as 'The Little Mosque' totally unaware that it was the first mosque in England and its historical value. It is our intention is to reveal the fascinating history behind the mosque, the man: Abdullah Quillam, his aims, ideals and continuing legacy.

Yesterday I saw one of the calls for a meeting point there, under the banner of "Enough is Enough"
An excellent Liverpudlian response here;

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Some interesting points as usual ash. I'm not sure the China govt have everything as under control as you make it sound though - there's no issue using a VPN in China, enabling use of WhatsApp or any other app.

My wechat account I have about 2 or 300 people I've met online or in real life, and only 1 or 2 % use VPNs. They simply don't need them, or want them or need them. The ones who have it tend to have them from their work, which is international business, and VPNs are no problem for this. 

Of course they can't completely control it as there are 1.4 billion people... but they do a better job than us... we can't even control 60 million people. 

I have always on here had the same view... Twitter etc. all get free advertising from the BBC (this is my biggest gripe, so I'll use this as my example as always) - the BBC actively encourages the use of these private firms every day. They could EASILY just say 'have your say on this matter by emailing us at bbc.aholes.com' but they use promote these firms. I hate this, and always have. The simple answer is an email is harder for them to deal with, someone needs to work, so they use private companies and give them exposure and free advertising. 

If I was PM, Twitter would be the first on the list to go. People can buy a VPN if they want, but good ones aren't cheap... let see how well they do! 

I agree about people like the BBC using X. Also lots of lazy pseudo journalism that is just a rehash of something posted on X. Even the details of planned anti-fascist protests are on X - X is part of the problem FFS, why would you perpetuate it?

• Like 1

Isnt the term "social media" an oxymoron? Lots of the content on it is anything but "social"

"If you are social, you like to be around people. A social butterfly is someone who is social or friendly with everyone, flitting from person to person, the way a butterfly might. The word social comes from the Latin socius meaning "friend." 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, echo beach said:

Thank goodness that I’ve never used or had the inclination to use social media.

I much prefer to live my life in the insular world of Sheffield Forum.😆

echo.

Forums I suppose were early forms of 'social media'. 

I still prefer using forums, but younger people seem to prefer fast fast fast! Social media is like a fast version of forums. I think. 

28 minutes ago, Gormenghast said:

Isnt the term "social media" an oxymoron? Lots of the content on it is anything but "social"

"If you are social, you like to be around people. A social butterfly is someone who is social or friendly with everyone, flitting from person to person, the way a butterfly might. The word social comes from the Latin socius meaning "friend." 

I'm not sure it is. It's just a modern name for something new. 

I don't think you can use 'social butterfly' as an example because you are conjugating two words. You could equally argue this by saying 'social misfit' or some other similar. 

And Latin words also can't really be used as an argument, because though we use today variations of Latin words, different languages use words slightly differently, and modernise and alter meanings over time. (but I do see your point)

Regarding the Hartlepool Nasir Mosque, [Facebook link] I believe it escaped direct damage, as the police had prior intelligence, blocked the access  and steered the demonstrators rioters away.
The mosque by the way supplies food banks, works with a local church, supports the British Legion, and helped out during Covid.

Community rallies around mosque after disorder  BBC

Said "patriots" did however raid a long standing British shop to steal goods to throw at the British police.
GoFundMe launched for The Farm Shop in Hartlepool after protest damage   Northern Echo

The concerned families involved seem to have included an 11 year old, who's been arrested for torching the police car.
Names of seven men charged with 'violent disorder' after Hartlepool riot Teeside Live

41 minutes ago, Gormenghast said:

Yes, well it’s giving a lot of air time to a lot of morons so I suppose it is!😀

echo.

1 hour ago, peak4 said:

Regarding the Hartlepool Nasir Mosque, [Facebook link] I believe it escaped direct damage, as the police had prior intelligence, blocked the access  and steered the demonstrators rioters away.
The mosque by the way supplies food banks, works with a local church, supports the British Legion, and helped out during Covid.

Community rallies around mosque after disorder  BBC

Said "patriots" did however raid a long standing British shop to steal goods to throw at the British police.
GoFundMe launched for The Farm Shop in Hartlepool after protest damage   Northern Echo

The concerned families involved seem to have included an 11 year old, who's been arrested for torching the police car.
Names of seven men charged with 'violent disorder' after Hartlepool riot Teeside Live

Just an average week in Houchen's Teesside.

Saw the names, wasn't surprised. Can these people be relocated to the sea, please?