Demonstrations, Riots and Disorder Across the UK Following the Southport Attacks

12 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@Magilla , @Uggy - fair enough, but there have been - possibly unintentional - attempts to divert this topic away from its original intention.

Cool, though I don't believe they're unintentional, by any stretch of the imagination.

The levels of false equivalence and whataboutery are just too ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Cool, though I don't believe they're unintentional, by any stretch of the imagination.

The levels of false equivalence and whataboutery are just too ridiculous.

Thanks - I was trying to be polite, but I agree with your above comments.

15 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Thanks - I was trying to be polite, but I agree with your above comments.

Seems to have been diverted again to CSE in Rotherham like so many other threads; Yes an important topic and not to be belittled.
Multiple investigations are ongoing, and people are still being convicted of historic crimes; Note that it was Afzal & Starmer who started taking the victims seriously, which led to the first prosecutions.
The tragic deaths in Southport were falsely attributed to someone with an Islamic sounding name, which provided an excuse for pre-planned organised protests/riots.
One of the "Facebook" inspired arrests seems to relate to this false story.
I've seen few people raise the issue of what would have happened if the original perpetrator was actually a Muslim.
Here's one; interestingly, I'm 100% certain I was following him on Twitter, but just found that I'm not any more.
Several people have reported having followers removed by Twitter without their knowledge.

15 minutes ago, peak4 said:

Seems to have been diverted again to CSE in Rotherham like so many other threads; Yes an important topic and not to be belittled.
Multiple investigations are ongoing, and people are still being convicted of historic crimes; Note that it was Afzal & Starmer who started taking the victims seriously, which led to the first prosecutions.
The tragic deaths in Southport were falsely attributed to someone with an Islamic sounding name, which provided an excuse for pre-planned organised protests/riots.
One of the "Facebook" inspired arrests seems to relate to this false story.
I've seen few people raise the issue of what would have happened if the original perpetrator was actually a Muslim.
Here's one; interestingly, I'm 100% certain I was following him on Twitter, but just found that I'm not any more.
Several people have reported having followers removed by Twitter without their knowledge.

There have numerous attempts to divert this topic - I wonder why?

Let’s be clear, I’m not trying to hijack this thread.  If you don’t like riots and racism then you shouldn’t try to squash and shut down people who want to discuss how deprivation is an important underlying factor.  Not an excuse for thuggish behaviour but an important factor in how these riots came about.  They didn’t happen in wealthy areas, they happened in 7 out of the 10 most deprived areas in England.  Shutting down anyone who raises this and dismisses it as whataboutery is part of the problem in my opinion.  If shutting down worked the riots would never have happened.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, redruby said:

I really do wonder how it’s come to pass that some consider it taboo to discuss social and economic factors as a factor in rioting in and unrest.  

As these 'disturbances' were hijacked by racists to further their crazy 'cause', maybe we should concentrate on that in this topic, and create another one to discuss your 'concerns'?

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

As these 'disturbances' were hijacked by racists to further their crazy 'cause', maybe we should concentrate on that in this topic, and create another one to discuss your 'concerns'?

I prefer to look in issues more deeply and consider the wider issues rather than just dismissing this all as far right thuggery.   And the points I have raised as not ‘concerns’ in inverted commas, they are real issues affecting many people in deprived areas.  The riots have not occurred in well off areas but 7 of the 10 most deprived areas in England.  
Do you think someone writing a PhD thesis on this would just dismiss it all as a few far right thugs looking for an excuse for a punch up?

• Like 1