Demonstrations, Riots and Disorder Across the UK Following the Southport Attacks

1 minute ago, peak4 said:

Snipped 
It's a real problem with selected/edited video clips; another example would be the violence outside a pub in Birmingham recently.
I no way would I justify the assault(s), and I hope everyone involved is prosecuted.
Many of the videos doing the rounds only start with people piling into the veranda at the pub.
They fail to show that the guy assaulted was egging them on and squaring up to folk beforehand.
Even the landlady has banned him for inciting the violence at her premises.
Granted, the assailants should have walked away and not risen to the bait.
https://news.sky.com/story/birmingham-pub-punter-who-incited-violence-will-be-barred-after-counter-protester-attack-13192106

I hear the landlady only did that appease the thugs who smashed the guys head in. I can't confirm that but if true tbh I don't blame her.

I don't care if he was gobby. I've said it before, there's no excuse for violence. Sticks and stones etc.

4 minutes ago, peak4 said:

Which is why I posted the whole video and an explanation of how it has apparently regularly been posted out of context.

Snipped 

I watched the video, not just the clipped version and I can state I heard with my own ears the venom he spat every time he said "WHITE!".

Change that colour to any other and he'd have been in trouble. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, peak4 said:

Which is why I posted the whole video and an explanation of how it has apparently regularly been posted out of context.

It's a real problem with selected/edited video clips; another example would be the violence outside a pub in Birmingham recently.
I no way would I justify the assault(s), and I hope everyone involved is prosecuted.
Many of the videos doing the rounds only start with people piling into the veranda at the pub.
They fail to show that the guy assaulted was egging them on and squaring up to folk beforehand.
Even the landlady has banned him for inciting the violence at her premises.
Granted, the assailants should have walked away and not risen to the bait.
https://news.sky.com/story/birmingham-pub-punter-who-incited-violence-will-be-barred-after-counter-protester-attack-13192106

I’ve watched the full video before too and in many ways it’s more disturbing than a selective clip.  

36 minutes ago, pfifes said:

I’ve watched the full video before too and in many ways it’s more disturbing than a selective clip.  

Full video? Are these only on platforms like Facebook? I've seen the same fairly short one on all the news sites I've looked on. I don't use Facebook, so I can't access their content (My choice). 

12 hours ago, pfifes said:

Out of interest, how do you feel about Just Stop Oil?  You may think they have just cause but is the disruption and vandalism justified?  If so, why do you think they resorted to this?  Are they not being listened to?  How about the 2011 riots too?

I think there’s a wider issue of democracy not working. 

Another game of  'my rioter is better than yours'?

I would send both lots to Russia or similar, where they might experience what "...democracy not working" really means.

Appeasing the behaviour of vandals, looters, arsonists who set out with the intent to hurt and terrorize by comparing them to other vandals, looters, arsonists who set out with the intent to hurt and terrorize makes no sense whatsoever. As for 'Just Stop Oil'  they have been dealt with by 4/5 year sentences as  should those vandals, looters, arsonists who set out with the intent to hurt and terrorize. 

Many sections and communities feel  "...they not being listened to..." why do you use this excuse to justify vandals, looters and arsonists who set out with the intent to hurt, intimidate and terrorize?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Another game of  'my rioter is better than yours'?

I would send both lots to Russia or similar

Except that just stop oil didn't burn any buses, they didn't riot.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, peak4 said:

It's not, but I'm having a wild guess that this is about another one of Musk's inflammatory outbursts; probably based on misinformation about a speech in the Scottish parliament, but he doesn't seem to care about facts of the use of a search engine.
As I recall it, the actual Humza speech/monolog, was complaining about racism, but has been widely shared out of context.
I really do wish folk would include some sort of link when making these accusations, so the rest of us know the basis of their allegations.
Scotland health minister’s speech about racial injustice and lack of diversity in politics misrepresented online Reuters

Also from his own Facebook page at the time
Some uncomfortable truths from yday's anti-racism debate in Parliament, but they have to be said and I hope heard.
My remarks were directed to my fellow Government colleagues. It is easy to point fingers at the Opposition, but we have to accept we have not done enough to advance progress for ethnic minorities who are just as Scottish as anyone else who lives here.
I see this as a personal failure and so recommit myself to making sure I work towards a fairer and more equal Scotland for all.

If Farage, Tice or similar would have made the same speech in parliament every man and his dog knows you wouldn't be posting link after link trying to defend them.

Why is that?

49 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Except that just stop oil didn't burn any buses, they didn't riot.

I clearly did not include the 'Just Stop Oil' as rioters.  

I clearly stated that their 4/5 year sentences (for their criminal behaviour) should equate with vandals, looters and arsonists who set out with the intent to hurt, intimidate and terrorize.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

If Farage, Tice or similar would have made the same speech in parliament every man and his dog knows you wouldn't be posting link after link trying to defend them.

Why is that?

Probably because I haven't defended him, just putting the speech into context, as it's clearly not about hating white people as some would have you believe.
No I don't think his choice of words was good by any means, though I get the argument he was making well enough.
He's a professional politician and should know better than to frame a valid argument in the way he did.
Even more so, when he's brown, Muslim and left of centre, as he should be well aware that other sections of politics will seize on anything he says and try to find a way to deliberately misrepresent his thoughts. 
One only has to look at the way the likes of Zara Sultana or Naz Shah have been intentionally misrepresented, and the amount of death threats subsequently received.  (Elle & BBC links)
The former is currently the most abused MP in parliament, and the latter still regularly accused of being a "grooming gangs apologist", even though she won a libel case about exactly that.

The same of course is true of some commentators on the left about right wing politicians.
Lets have politicians & pundits, of all flavours, try and return to respectful discussions about sensitive topics, without the point scoring, so we can build a fairer society for all.

4 minutes ago, peak4 said:

Lets have politicians & pundits, of all flavours, try and return to respectful discussions about sensitive topics, without the point scoring, so we can build a fairer society for all.

Best of luck with that, @peak4.

• Haha 1