Demonstrations, Riots and Disorder Across the UK Following the Southport Attacks

Just now, PapaLazarou said:

Musk is creating a solid argument for regulation?

Surely you  infer that Musk repels regulation?

Yes - but his actions  are likely to cause the regulation to happen.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

I feel Elon Musk (and ‘X’ in general) is creating a solid argument for regulation of social media and websites.

Which is sad because it will lead to stronger regulation in other countries once the cork is out of the bottle and ultimately affect more casual sites like this one. ☹️

My bold

That would be a very sad day. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Please keep to the topic. Feel free to post about SCC repairs in the relevant thread, but let’s keep this one on track. 👍

I feel Elon Musk (and ‘X’ in general) is creating a solid argument for regulation of social media and websites.

Which is sad because it will lead to stronger regulation in other countries once the cork is out of the bottle and ultimately affect more casual sites like this one. ☹️

I do feel it is on topic though.  These riots haven’t sprung for nowhere by a bunch of far right thugs looking for an excuse for a punch up.  They have been simmering for a long time through real grievances and these grievances have now been exploited by the far right.  The far right didn’t invent them but they are using them.  Therefore one example is the terrible track record of SCC failing to repair council houses and working class people feeling abandoned when they see asylum seekers put up in hotels.  Now that’s not an excuse for thuggery but it an example of the type of issues that have brought us to this place.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

So it is a two tier judicial system . 

No, a counter protestor who turned up with a knife in Middlesborough was also in court yesterday:

"So, two people go through the courts yesterday. One, being a person who turned up to protest actually, they’d seen this stuff online, gone down there to get involved in all this violence and disorder, and they deserve what’s coming.

And at the same time, I saw that somebody who turned up to counter protest, armed with a knife, was feeling the full force of the law. And that’s exactly what should happen."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2024/aug/07/uk-riots-far-right-latest-unrest-southport-stabbings-politics?CMP=share_btn_url&page=with%3Ablock-66b375e78f08d42381decde3#block-66b375e78f08d42381decde3

But also, if you attack or otherwise threaten the police, you're going to go through the courts quickly. That has always been a case. Take a look at this, a comprehensive list of the people going through the courts in the North East so far (of which the above are two) and look at the reasons they were arrested: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/charged-court-north-east-riots-29691641

27 minutes ago, PapaLazarou said:

Thats a silly point of reference 

Football crowds have long been a recruiting ground for racist yobs.

So why is it not a reasonable thought that in the current climate that it will remain an area at risk in the coming weeks?

I think it's probably broadly relevant to this topic, since Musk has directly involved himself on the current UK situation by promoting various accounts regarding his "Civil War in Europe" replies.
Slightly different target, but same method on his part.
I'm seriously critical of the current Israeli government, but this seems way out of order to me.
Still not seeing a pattern yet.
With antisemitic tweet, Elon Musk reveals his ‘actual truth’ CNN, even though that may discredit the source in some people's eyes.

Elon Musk has publicly endorsed an antisemitic conspiracy theory popular among White supremacists: that Jewish communities push “hatred against Whites.”

That kind of overt thumbs up to an antisemitic post shocked even some of Musk’s critics, who have long called him out for using racist or otherwise bigoted dog whistles on Twitter, now known as X. It was the multibillionaire’s most explicit public statement yet endorsing anti-Jewish views.

Musk was responding to a post Wednesday that said Jewish communities “have been pushing the exact kind of dialectical hatred against whites that they claim to want people to stop using against them.” The post also referenced “hordes of minorities” flooding Western countries, a popular antisemitic conspiracy theory.

It’s the kind of post you can find easily on X these days, and likely would have gone unnoticed had Musk, with more than 160 million followers, not re-shared the post with the comment: “You have said the actual truth.”

Why it matters
The antisemitic conspiracy theory — which posits that Jews want to bring undocumented minority populations into Western countries to reduce White majorities in those nations — is often espoused by hate groups.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Football crowds have long been a recruiting ground for racist yobs.

So why is it not a reasonable thought that in the current climate that it will remain an area at risk in the coming weeks?

Can you prove that though?

In my 40 years of following SUFC, the theme of said & alleged “recruiting” has been significantly less a race matter, and significantly more a “anti local rivals” matter.

I’d be interested to see how you back you argument up.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, redruby said:

I do feel it is on topic though.  These riots haven’t sprung for nowhere by a bunch of far right thugs looking for an excuse for a punch up.  They have been simmering for a long time through real grievances and these grievances have now been exploited by the far right.  The far right didn’t invent them but they are using them.  Therefore one example is the terrible track record of SCC failing to repair council houses and working class people feeling abandoned when they see asylum seekers put up in hotels.  Now that’s not an excuse for thuggery but it an example of the type of issues that have brought us to this place.

You are saying that because the previous Governments and SCC  have failed to fix stuff, it leads to a riot?

• Like 1